Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Detecting Flash Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Joyzzz

Joyzzz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:49 PM

I have a flash drive that my computer will recognize with a sound when I put it into the usb port.
Although, when I try to access the drive through "my computer" it is not on the list of drives to open.

It does not have a lock or password of any kind. I did test the usb ports and they work fine.

I did go into device manager (following HP's help desk) and located the HUB mass storage and it was listed.

I am running Windows XP.

I am thinking it may be a virus or something in the flash drive, but how do I get into the flash drive
to scan or retrive my files.

I would like to save the information and continue to use the drive.
I am not sure what else to do.

Any help or suggestions would be great!!!

Joy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:19 PM

The most common cause of this problem is that the drive letter assigned to the USB drive is in use by another device. This can be a mapped drive, or another USB device.

The fix is to go into Disk Management and give it another drive letter. Go to Start...Run...and type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

In the next window, scroll down until you find the USB drive and right click on it to change the drive letter.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Joyzzz

Joyzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.
I brought the flash drive to work and it is doing the same thing.
I am leaning toward a problem with the flash drive.

Joy

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:13 AM

Try going to the website for the flash drive's manufacturer. Most have diagnostic utilities and formatting tools available for free.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Joyzzz

Joyzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:16 AM

John, Thank you again for your idea.

I went to Seagate (who made the drive) and down loaded the
software. My problem...yes, I find one around every step....
is that "my computer" does not detect the drive.
In order to do the scan through the web site, of course,
I need to run the down loads.

Which comes back to my problem, the computer does
not detect the drive.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
More to ponder.
Joy

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:20 AM

When you hear the noise when you plug it into a usb drive there should be a little tooltip that pops up.

Is there one, and if there is, what does it say?

Does an icon stay in the notification area near the clock to click to "safely remove" the drive?

Truthfully, if you have the non-recognition problem in two different computers it is probably a defective drive.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:21 AM

If the tools from the website won't locate the drive - then I'd suspect that the drive was bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users