Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i5-8600 vs i7-7700k? Which of these two PCs to choose?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 1afhvline

1afhvline

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:32 PM

Hello,

I am going to buy a new desktop computer and I have currently picked out two options to choose from.

The main difference between these two computers is the processor and I'm here to ask whether to choose PC with i7-7700k or PC with i5-8600 8th gen processor (the non-K model). The i5-8600 (3,6Ghz) was released in 2018 and has more recent technology and 6 cores while the i7-7700k (4,2Ghz) was released earlier and has 4 cores physical cores and 8 threads.

I am not willing to upgrade the computer too soon and I'll mostly use it for editing, animation, modeling, periodically hosting a PC game server, as well as for entertainment, browsing the web and playing some demanding videogames and doing my schoolwork. It is also important for me that the computer allows to do many things at the same time smoothly.

Also, you would check the other specifications beside of the processors.

Full specs of both computers:

• Intel i7-7700k
  • GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB
  • 8 GB RAM DDR4
  • 1TB HDD + 240 GB SSD
  • H110 Motherboard
  • Windows 10

VS

• Intel i5-8600
  • GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB
  • 16 GB RAM DDR4
  • 1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD
  • H310 Motherboard
  • Windows 10

Both computers cost around 1000€ ($1170) but the one with i5 is 30 euros cheaper. The price is actually not an issue and it would not be a problem to pay more to get a better computer, but I doubt if the i7 comptuer is worth it and does the difference even matter?

Any advice about the specs or just the processors is more than welcome

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:36 PM

Nether as AMD Ryzen exists, Ryzen is very good at video editing and you may be able to score something good for cheaper.

I am guessing you are looking at pre builts?

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 1afhvline

1afhvline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:07 AM

Yes, I am looking for pre builts and these two are currently on sale at a local computer store

Unfortunately they are not offering any Ryzen PCs in this price range

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:36 AM

Understood, are you willing to shop online or are physical stores your only option?

Where are you located? I dont want a hone address but country of origin will do.

Edited by MadmanRB, 29 July 2018 - 09:37 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 JayR88

JayR88

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:44 AM

Can't say enough about the 7700k, that one has been a blast, and just about everything you could throw at it. Easy to clock it...not hard to delid it at all. Hell the Little I do, it's been Awesome. Some Psycho mobo's though, boot problems and may or may not like what ram you are using....I need another kit to try.

Like I said had the 920 and rampage II for like forever up to 4.2ghz. And yeah many said it would of been a quite an upgrade, Boy they weren't kidding.

Edited by JayR88, 30 July 2018 - 07:28 AM.

#6 danchy19

danchy19

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 08 September 2018 - 01:33 AM

I would go with the i5 processor, although it is not the i7 they kind of both balance each other out... the i7 is a faster processor but if you use it a lot and have multiple applications open the i5 is the one to go for due to its RAM capabilities

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users