Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 can't start and can't be repaired

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Win18

Win18

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 04:03 PM

This is Windows 10 enterprise and Windows 8.1 Pro dual boot machine. 24 GB ram was installed but both PC showed only 16 GB available (now I think this looks like a MOBO issue). I searched web and found one suggestion

to clear the “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives” under Performance Options > Advanced tab > Virtual memory.

I did it on Windows 8.1 and rebooted and saw no change. I did that on Windows 10 and rebooted. And from this point on neither window could boot and could not repaired.

I tried all the available options and none is work. Here is the options and results:

System Restore

To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system, and then select System Restore.

—— no OS in BIOS

Go back to the previous version

We ran into a problem and won’t be able to take you back to the previous version of Windows. Try resetting your PC instead (Troubleshoot > Reset PC).

System Image Recovery

No image is shown.

Startup Repair

Startup Repair couldn’t repair your PC. Press “Advanced option” to try other options to repair your PC or “Shut down” to turn PC.

Command Prompt

Not enough memory resources are available to process this command.

I do not want to reinstall windows or reset them because of losing software license and huge amount of time to reinstall everything. This is a nightmare in my history of fixing PCs.

Edited by Win18, 28 July 2018 - 04:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 04:27 PM

I can't help with your present situation but---

In the future use something like Macrium Reflect to make system images & add a boot time recovery option.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:12 PM

Right now the only thing to do is get a external adapter of some type, get a pair of blank or unused hard drives, install windows on one of them, install macrium reflect then try to mirror the disks using that.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:27 PM

Hi, well I could lecture you about playing around where you have no right to, however I guess by now you have learned your lesson. The internet is awash with performance mod's for windows many are complete myths. Win 10 manages memory different to previous versions (and so do hardware manufacturers) Since Anniversary update win 10 has had memory compression it also has a swapfile and a paging file. Essentially you gain no performance benefit by playing with these settings. 

I would remove some sticks of RAM to leave you with 8 and test the boot. Might be lucky. Sometimes memory is "locked"  in the paging file and has to be cleared before adjusting any settings.... basically leaving it alone is the way to go, unless you are an expert.

It might be possible to get you back, win 10 makes a registry backup every 7-10 days it is possible to restore this backup. In your case you will need to download the media creation tool from MS (google for it) and create an install media for your version (you will need to do this on another working machine), You will need a flash drive with at least 8gb capacity (I use 16gb) and you will need to change your boot order to boot from it.

You are going to have to load a registry hive and modify your registry, there are two options we can mod the:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PagingFiles\ to the default "system managed setting" OR we can load the Software\config hive and load the registry backup. 

Both methods I can do easily It may take a bit of work from you as you will need to follow instructions very carefully, for this to work.

As you cannot boot to windows you cannot run a restore win 10 and keep all files and app's fix (it can only be done from a working OS) so you have limited options, a clean install may be necessary, not a problem if you follow good management practise and have backups.. you do don't you?

Post back how you feel, and when you have your flash drive with the Win 10 OS on it, with you. WE also need to know if you have Home, Pro, Enterprise. Education..

#5 Win18

Win18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:29 PM

Thank you everyone, I fixed them all without reinstalling or resetting windows. 

Here is what I did:

1. jenae's suggestion to remove memory sticks gave me the tip to start with. It also is in line of how my trouble happened. There are 6 memory slots on the mobo and each was plugged in a 4 GB stick. So I removed 4 of them and left 8 GB to attempt the auto repair and it did not work.
  2. Then I realized that the memory sticks better be put in the slots in certain orders. So I removed every sticks and disconnected all drives except the Windows 8.1 drive. I found out the EVGA mobo manual and added 2 sticks a time per the manual and verify that the BIOS shows correct memory size. First 8 GB, then 16 Gb and finally all 24 GB were showing on BIOS. That game me hope that the windows could be repaired because both the Window 10 and Windows 8.1 had shown 16 GB memory before I had the booting problem.
  3. I started with the Windows 8.1 and the BIOS displayed that it was attempting to repair Windows and this was a new message. It took about 20-30 minutes and I entered the Administrator’s password during the repairing process and the Windows 8.1 was back. I logged in Windows and it showed 24 GB memory. The booting setting had only Window 8.1. I restarted a few times and it worked flawlessly.
  4. Since it’s dual boot system, I connected the Windows 10 drive and started the PC again. It took while and then displayed a message that it was fixing a disk volume which I did not see during other attempts. After a long time the Screen showed the Windows 10 log in screen after I came back to PC. Amazing.
  5. I logged in Windows 10 and it showed 24 GB memory and boot system contained both Windows 10 and Windows 8.1. I restarted Windows 10 a couple of times and it worked. Then I booted onto Windows 8.1 and it worked. And this time in Windows 8.1 booting settings it contained both Windows 10 and Windows 8.1. So dual boot worked.
  6. I connected all hard drives and restarted and this time the window had trouble to connect one drive. I took it out and put in a hard drive dock and connected with window via USB and checked it and found no problem. After many different checks and found the issue, the drive was connected with a SATA cable which was connected to a PCI card because the MOBO had run out of SATA ports. So I used a different SATA connection and this time I had no problem with this drive. So either the cable or the port from the PCI port was at fault.
  7. Connected all drives again and restart. At every start I had to see the blue screen DPC Watchdog Violation error once and then the window restarted again and then booted successfully. It drove me nuts. After many trials I found the culprit. It was caused by an old IDE drive and the IDE cable was also connected the PCI card. This problem did not show at step 6 though.
  8. I disconnected the old IDE drive and restarted again. No more problem existed and both windows booted without problem though the Windows 8.1 booted a bit slower.

In the couple of weeks before I had the booting problems I had frequent DPC watchdog violation problems. Probably that caused memory problems. And my change on the virtual memory settings caused the booting problem. The lesson is that for the Windows settings, it’s better to keep the Windows default settings and be very careful when trying to change them. Another lesson is to back up Windows image just in case disaster happens.

Thank you all very much again. Thank you jenae.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users