Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What the heck happened to my laptop?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cboisits

cboisits

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:06 PM

A week ago I clicked on the MS Word icon on my desktop and I got the following error:

"Windows Installer- Preparing to Install"

After 5 seconds it says: Microstoft Office Standard 2010

Error: 1719. The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.

This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.

Contact your support personnel for assistance.

I click on "OK" and it says: Problem With Shortcut

Fatal Error during installation

And when I click to open a PDF file, I get the following error:

AcroRd32.exe - System Error

The code execution cannot proceed because KERNEL32.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.

What is happening? The only culprit I can think of is recent updates that have been done? If someone can help me I would be very grateful. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 03:33 PM

Do a 'System restor' to before the point these problems started happening. If you don't know how . . .

Type 'Control' into the Cortana search box. Control panel should appear at the top of the list, click on it. When it appears click on 'View by - Small icons' in the top right corner, by far the mot useful view, then click on 'Recovery'. You will now see a button 'Open system retore', click on this.

After a few seconds the 'Restore' dialogue box will appear, click on 'Next'. This will bring up a panel listing the latest one or two restore points, if none of these pre-date your problem tick the box 'Show more restore points' and pick one. Then continue through the boxes, you will get a couple of warnings, accept them and let the restore process run. It will usually take about 10 minutes but just let it finish. Then re-boot and see if your problem is fixed. If not, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 04:23 PM

Just a thought---

Use something like Macrium Reflect to make system images to restore to.

I've used the paid version for years.

It saved my butt a lot of times.

Better than paying $100/hour to a computer repair shop.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#4 cboisits

cboisits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:49 AM

I did the system restore but it said it was unsuccessful due to my antivirus software. I have a paid version of bitdefender. I've never heard of Macrium Reflect, but thank you. I'm going to google it right now.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 03:56 PM

If Bitdefender is preventing you doing a restore then disable it and try system restore again.

I take medab1's point about system images - I use Macrium Reflect (paid) myself - and yes, a full system image has saved me at least once but in this situation, and as a first step, it is taking a sledge hammer to crack a peanut. System restore is (1) built into Windows, (2) free, and, (3) only takes a few minutes. And at least as relevant, Reflect may well help you in the future but will not help you right at this moment.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 cboisits

cboisits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

I uninstalled Bitdefender and did the restore back to the 20th which was the earliest date I saw available. The system restore worked but the issuw is still there??? I need to go back to an earlier date but there was nothing before the 20th of July. Am I screwed? Is there some way that I can go back to an earlier date, like a month ago?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users