Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to set up WiFi network that does not use internet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 WoodRow1965

WoodRow1965

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:33 AM

Hi all, newbie here.  I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the subject.

I am trying to set up a new router (Asus AC3100). It is used by a live band for iPads and iPhones to wirelessly connect to a digital mixing console which is connected directly to the router.

I have the router set up with ID and password and my iPad finds it and tries to connect but it just spins endlessly and it says "no internet connection", and it won't complete the connection because of that. 

RJVB.jpg

I get a similar error message on my PC about "limited connectivity".

Win7.jpg​

Also, the control panel for the router says that a network cable is unplugged under "Internet status".

ASUS.jpg

How do I configure the router in such a way that connected devices don't sit there and look for an internet connection all day? I tried disabling WAN but that didn't make a difference.

There are several options in operation mode but all of them involve an internet connection.

ASUS2.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Edited by WoodRow1965, 28 July 2018 - 10:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 10:13 AM

I suggest you look at a number of the results returned from:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=set+up+an+internal+wireless+network+without+internet+connection

I can't speak to your iPad, but the message you're getting from your Windows machine is precisely what I'd expect.  There is an implicit expectation that you're connecting to a WiFi access point to get to the internet.  If you have a connection to your WiFi LAN, but the router does not have an internet connection, you will get the "limited connectivity" warning and your WiFi icon will have the small yellow triangle with the exclamation point in it on top of the icon.  This means you have "within LAN" (device to device, if more than one is connected) connectivity but no internet access.

My guess, based on your last image, is you'll end up using access point mode.  If you have no internet connection you don't need router mode in the conventional sense (even though the device is routing traffic on the LAN, but not out to the world at large).  I could be wrong, though, as I am not familiar with this particular brand or its interface.

Edited by britechguy, 28 July 2018 - 10:19 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users