Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard LED lights but no fans or boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fionaross99

fionaross99

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:47 AM

Hi, 

I am building a new PC but am currently tearing my hair out trying to work out what the problem is.

I have:

ASUS Prime B250-A Motherboard

Intel i7 LG1151 CPU

2 x 16Gb Ballistix DDR-4 RAM

Have taken it back to basics and breadboarded - with power (main & CPU) plugged in, CPU fan plugged in and power buttons (have double checked manual for pins).  The motherboard lights up but neither fan spins and nothing happens.  There's no on-board speaker so I don't know if anything's beeping.

I know that the PSU and CPU fan are good - I have installed with another motherboard and all works perfectly.  Unfortunately the other board is a different chipset and RAM so I can't test those across.

I have also received a replacement motherboard from Asus so I'm assuming the board isn't the problem.

How can I determine if it's the RAM or the processor? (Can't believe it could be anything else)  I've double checked processor is seated correctly and made sure there's not too much thermal paste.  Have tried with and without RAM installed, and have tried RAM in each slot.

Please help!

Regards,

Fiona

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:01 PM

This sounds like the power supply has failed.  It appears the 12 volt section has died, thus no fans.  The 5 volts is good, ie the LED on the mOBO.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:01 PM

How can I determine if it's the RAM or the processor?

Continue your benchbuild approach.  This time connect only the power supply, CPU, and one (1) only stick of RAM. Then connect the monitor, keyboard and mouse. Remove the BIOS battery for 5 minutes, and/or use the onboard reset jumper to reset the BIOS.

Now connect your optical drive.

Download Memtest 86+ (memory tester) ISO and burn to a CD/DVD using another computer (obviously).

Plug in the power cord to the power supply, and cross the two Power ON contacts for the front panel power switch which are located on the board. The computer will power up. Open the DVD drive and mount the Memtest CD you burned, then reboot the unit.

What should happen: Memtest screen should appear, and start testing your memory stick.

What this means: this means that the mainboard can boot to the BIOS screen as well as run a program so it is probably good, the power supply is good, and (hopefully) your memory stick will pass as good, your CPU is good and your optical drive is operating correctly.

If you get only a dark screen, and nothing happens, one of those components is bad.

For further in-depth discussion, you might try this website.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 fionaross99

fionaross99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 04:39 AM

​

This sounds like the power supply has failed.  It appears the 12 volt section has died, thus no fans.  The 5 volts is good, ie the LED on the mOBO.

Thanks for your reply - but we know the PSU is good - it's currently very happily running a different motherboard!

#5 fionaross99

fionaross99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 04:41 AM

How can I determine if it's the RAM or the processor?

Continue your benchbuild approach.  This time connect only the power supply, CPU, and one (1) only stick of RAM. Then connect the monitor, keyboard and mouse. Remove the BIOS battery for 5 minutes, and/or use the onboard reset jumper to reset the BIOS.

Now connect your optical drive.

Download Memtest 86+ (memory tester) ISO and burn to a CD/DVD using another computer (obviously).

Plug in the power cord to the power supply, and cross the two Power ON contacts for the front panel power switch which are located on the board. The computer will power up. Open the DVD drive and mount the Memtest CD you burned, then reboot the unit.

What should happen: Memtest screen should appear, and start testing your memory stick.

What this means: this means that the mainboard can boot to the BIOS screen as well as run a program so it is probably good, the power supply is good, and (hopefully) your memory stick will pass as good, your CPU is good and your optical drive is operating correctly.

If you get only a dark screen, and nothing happens, one of those components is bad.

For further in-depth discussion, you might try this website.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to respond.  Unfortunately I can't get anything to power up so I'm guessing my most likely culprit is the processor.  

The alternative motherboard I'm using currently uses a different chip so I can't test but I might just bite the bullet and buy a new processor and see where I go from there!

Fiona

#6 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 07:37 AM

Intel i7 LG1151 CPU

You did not specify what generation cpu your using. That Asus B250-A board only supports gen 6x and 7x cpu's. If your attempting to use a newer 8th gen cpu, it won't work with that board.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B250M-A/HelpDesk_CPU/

Edited by Joe C, 29 July 2018 - 07:38 AM.

#7 fionaross99

fionaross99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:41 PM

​

Intel i7 LG1151 CPU

You did not specify what generation cpu your using. That Asus B250-A board only supports gen 6x and 7x cpu's. If your attempting to use a newer 8th gen cpu, it won't work with that board.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B250M-A/HelpDesk_CPU/

Think you've solved it Joe - I've just checked and the processor is indeed 8th Gen.  Bugger!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users