Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions for an SSD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Euro_Bucks

Euro_Bucks

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:52 AM

Currently using a 120Gb OCZ Arc 100. I couldn't say anything about its performance all I know is my PC boots faster, games loads quicker and tranfer rates are much better.

But 120Gb sure is not enough. Looking forward upgrading to a higher capacity and found this

Colorful SL500 320Gb

It is priced at $73.00 I mean it's the cheapest I can find. Gonna make the 120Gb as drive for OS and the 320Gb for games.
Would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 01:21 AM

Using the cheapest may not always be the best idea, but although I had never heard of the brand, it seems they are a large Chinese supplier. Someone else might have experience of using their products.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 04:43 AM

Very low quality drives. Don't put anything important on those.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:38 AM

Yeah never go for cheap Chinese stuff where it matters the most.

If you really dont have that high of a budget there are better brands out there.

Adata, PNY, Toshiba, Sandisk all make large capacity drives on the cheap but are of better quality.

There are other brands too that will be okay such as patriot (though they are hit or miss) silicon power (which is surprisingly good) Kingston (very good company) and western digital (as they own sandisk)

What part of the world are you in?

Edited by MadmanRB, 28 July 2018 - 05:54 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#5 Euro_Bucks

Euro_Bucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 06:51 AM

Using the cheapest may not always be the best idea, but although I had never heard of the brand, it seems they are a large Chinese supplier. Someone else might have experience of using their products.

Yes, it is a brand originating from China. Their video cards are pretty descent though.

Very low quality drives. Don't put anything important on those.

Have you tried one already? Yes it would be use primarily for games, OS will stay at my OCZ (Toshiba).

Yeah never go for cheap Chinese stuff where it matters the most.

If you really dont have that high of a budget there are better brands out there.

Adata, PNY, Toshiba, Sandisk all make large capacity drives on the cheap but are of better quality.

There are other brands too that will be okay such as patriot (though they are hit or miss) silicon power (which is surprisingly good) Kingston (very good company) and western digital (as they own sandisk)

What part of the world are you in?

Thanks for the input. I guess everything is made in China nowadays.

I am from Philippines, based on the brands you suggested, PNY, Toshiba and Patriot barely exist here.

I got bad experience from Adata so it all comes down to Kingston and Sandisk compared to this one.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:13 AM

I've used several Sandisk SSDs in budget builds for people, no problems. I haven't yet used a Kingston SSD, but I use Kingston RAM without hesitation.

For quality SSDs I have used Crucial and Samsung.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,341 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 01:30 PM

Sandisk is pretty good as is Kingston, cant go wrong with either brand.

Also yes pretty much everything is made in china but it depends on the QC, a lot of stuff from China is fine however there are still some dubious brands out there.

Granted there are brands out there that i heard some good things about, such as teamgroup and Mushkin makes some decent drives now and then.

As for adata seems like their newer SSD's are actually fairly decent from what I hear and there is addlink too.

If you had to go adata the newer su650 series is supposed to be quite good from both user benchmarks and reliability.

And there are good things I heard about the SU800 so it seems like they have improved.

Edited by MadmanRB, 28 July 2018 - 01:33 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 04:02 PM

Have you tried one already? Yes it would be use primarily for games, OS will stay at my OCZ (Toshiba).

Games are expandable. For that use, I'm still not recommending that but it may be OK.

#9 Euro_Bucks

Euro_Bucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:44 AM

I've used several Sandisk SSDs in budget builds for people, no problems. I haven't yet used a Kingston SSD, but I use Kingston RAM without hesitation.

For quality SSDs I have used Crucial and Samsung.

Yes, Kingston is my go-to brand when it comes to RAM.

Those are popular brands, it's just the added price Im worrying about if its totally worth it.

Sandisk is pretty good as is Kingston, cant go wrong with either brand.

Also yes pretty much everything is made in china but it depends on the QC, a lot of stuff from China is fine however there are still some dubious brands out there.

Granted there are brands out there that i heard some good things about, such as teamgroup and Mushkin makes some decent drives now and then.

As for adata seems like their newer SSD's are actually fairly decent from what I hear and there is addlink too.

If you had to go adata the newer su650 series is supposed to be quite good from both user benchmarks and reliability.

And there are good things I heard about the SU800 so it seems like they have improved.

I really wish this was a better line up for Adata. Had their SX900 before and it died just 5 months after purchase. Told me to send it to Taiwan for RMA at my expense but did not bother since shipping cost was half the price of the actual ssd.

Games are expandable. For that use, I'm still not recommending that but it may be OK.

Only reason I want to put my games on SSD is for faster loading. I play PUBG and assets and resources takes time loading in HDD.

Tried installing it on SSD and the difference is very noticeable.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,341 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:21 AM

Well if you can at least score a sandisk then you should be okay but i am unsure of your pricing over there, but I do know overall they make some great budget SSD's

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#11 Euro_Bucks

Euro_Bucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:44 AM

Well if you can at least score a sandisk then you should be okay but i am unsure of your pricing over there, but I do know overall they make some great budget SSD's

That was everyone was suggesting and I will consider that, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users