Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freearc Compression Troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mathiasneedshelp84

Mathiasneedshelp84

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:06 PM

Hi guys,

So I downloaded Freearc 0.666 for my 64bit Windows 10 computer. But, the problem is that it won't compress files at all. I've tried uninstalling, then reinstalling, but to no avail. When I'm adding files to the archive, I am definitely "Maximum Compression". I've tried pressing the save button to see if that helps, but it doesn't. When I look on Youtube the tutorials look so easy and you can compress massive files into tiny ones.

As an added note, on the Youtube videos the compression rate is something like 0% but mine is nearly 100%. What do you recommend I should do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:19 PM

What type of files are you trying to compress? Large files will only compress into tiny ones if they have highly compressible content. A lot of modern file formats are already compressed, like mp3 and jpg.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Mathiasneedshelp84

Mathiasneedshelp84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:24 PM

Hi Platypus

Well I've tried compressing a .exe installer file, as well as a 86.1 MB video file and neither compressed any smaller, they were almost identical in size. Am I doing something wrong perhaps?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,453 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:35 PM

I think you're probably trying to compress files that are already in a compressed format. An installer .exe certainly will be a self expanding archive. To test the functioning of the program, compress some files that will definitely take compression, like text documents or spreadsheets.

#5 Mathiasneedshelp84

Mathiasneedshelp84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:41 PM

Okay, I'll test it out by compressing some words documents to see if it makes any difference. Do you have any other suggestions for ways that a large file can be compressed into a tiny one? Like any other kinds of software?

#6 Mathiasneedshelp84

Mathiasneedshelp84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:49 PM

Just tested out a 44 KB word document to no avail. It came back as a 42.9 KB compressed file.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,453 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:16 AM

You mightn't notice much result with a single small file, because of the space needed for the archive header. Try to compress at least a megabyte of content. I just downloaded the program and compressed 5.15MB of .txt files that were in My Documents, the resulting .arc file is 3.5MB in size.

There isn't any effective way to reduce the size of files that are already well compressed.

#8 Mathiasneedshelp84

Mathiasneedshelp84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:20 AM

Okay, Thank you for your help Platypus. At least now I know what's going on. Thank you for answering my question.

Cheers Mathias

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,453 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:26 AM

You're welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users