Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

64-bit windows VMs have recently started BSODing, sometimes BSODing host too

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 daffy1234

daffy1234

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:43 PM

I use Virtualbox 5.2.16 on my Windows 7 64-bit Professional host. 

Recently, my already installed 64-bit windows VMs (from XP up to 8.1, haven't tested 10) have started BSODing when running for more than a few minutes. Reinstalling didn't help, as the installer BSOD'd during the "extracting files" phase. This doesn't seem to affect 32-bit guests, or 64-bit linux guests. Only 64-bit windows guests are affected it seems.  

This is sometimes so bad that it brings my host down too. Sometimes with a BSOD relating do vboxdrv.sys, and sometimes just cut to black and then reboot (which I've never seen before in any other context).

I've made posts on the virtualbox forum about this, but they said it's likely a host issue. Not sure where to go from here. It's also deeply weird that it affects only 64-bit windows guests, specifically.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:03 AM

I would recommend either completely uninstalling Virtual Box, or download a slightly older version, like 5.2.14, and see if that works.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_5_2

If you feel technically inclined, you can try debugging the VMs from the command line using VBoxManage (it gets installed with VirtualBox): https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html#vboxmanage-debugvm

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:04 AM

Also, it appears you upgraded the OS'es on your VMs. In most cases, it's better to start a new VM with the new OS, migrate over any data you want from the old VM, and then delete the old one.

#4 daffy1234

daffy1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:13 AM

I believe this issue goes deeper than virtualbox. I've posted in another forum. Thank you though.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/681566/mystery-black-screen-reboots-while-using-vms-occasional-bsod/

Edited by daffy1234, 02 August 2018 - 02:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users