Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 11 not picking up on my bookmarks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alisp

alisp

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:45 PM

Back in the days of XP and IE8, if I started typing a URL, or part of a bookmark name, into the URL bar, Internet Explorer would start coming up with suggestions taken both from my browsing history and from my bookmarks.  So if I started typing "daily", for example, it might pick up anything I'd read recently in certain newspapers, but also anything from those newspapers that I'd bookmarked.  With Internet Explorer 11, though, both on my Win 7 and 8.1 computers, I don't think this happens - I don't get any prompts to visit any of my bookmarked sites, even though I know I've saved them.  Is this normal behaviour in IE11, or is there some setting I need to tweak to get it to work?  I've gone through most of the internet settings and not spotted anything which obviously needs to be tweaked.  To get rid of the option would seem to be a very retrograde step, so I trust Microsoft didn't actually do that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nunos

Nunos

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:37 PM

Perhaps it is AutoComplete.

https://binged.it/2LYUGtL

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 04:36 PM

As far as I know 'Autocomplete' works from 'History'. Since you have these sites bookmarked why don't you just click on the bookmark ?

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Nunos

Nunos

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:20 PM

It looks like in that picture in the link I posted shows it can do History, Bookmarks, and Feeds.

#5 alisp

alisp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 06:17 AM

It looked as though Nunos had hit the nail on the head with Autocomplete - which I'd never realised existed.  On the 8.1 machine Autocomplete was set up to include bookmarks (and it worked), so I thought perhaps it was simply that Autocomplete hadn't been enabled on the Win 7 machine for some reason.  But it has been, bookmarks included, and it's still not working, so that can't be the solution, unfortunately.

Chris, I could of course click on the bookmarks, but they're imported from a previous computer, I have probably over 1000 of them and they're all subdivided into folders, which means I have to find which folder they're in first.  It would be so much easier if I could just start typing in the address bar and that would bring the bookmark up.  I'm wondering if it's a problem exclusive to Win 7 now - I've only recently started using Internet Explorer on it after getting irritated with Firefox.

Thank you, both of you, for your suggestions.  I'll carry on trying to find out why it's not working properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users