Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't boot off Windows Creation Tool on USB

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 FuafmoGiannulli

FuafmoGiannulli

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:14 PM

Rebooted PC last night and it usually boots completely within a few seconds. This time it stuck on the ASRock logo for awhile before it got to the Windows logo. It wouldn't go past the Windows logo with the little spinning circle below.

Interrupted boot three times to get it to boot into the automatic repair. That message would come up then the screen would go black and nothing else would happen.

So I went across town to use another PC to install the Windows Creation Tool on a USB stick. Did that and went home and booted it to the USB stick and an ASRock logo comes up and then it goes to a black screen and that's it.

Now what?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:22 PM

have you tested the USB beforehand on another machine to make sure it bootable.

Also when the PC boots up, try hitting the Boot Menu option and select the drive manually.

Might want to run the desktop diagnostic tool if their is one from the boot menu to see if it maybe a hardware failure

#3 FuafmoGiannulli

FuafmoGiannulli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:34 PM

I didn't test it. Guess I should have done that before leaving. I couldn't find anything about a diagnostic tool so guess I can't do that.

#4 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:13 PM

I would try booting off another machine with it just to see if maybe it not working.

Also try to see if you can boot into windows in safe mode (https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-enter-safe-mode-in-windows-10/) to see if it can even do that.

#5 FuafmoGiannulli

FuafmoGiannulli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:17 PM

Since I can't boot into Windows to set up the ability to enter safe mode and the auto repair thing isn't working the only way to get into safe mode appears to be to boot off this USB. I'm about to test the USB on another PC and will install it on another couple USB sticks just to be over prepared this time.

#6 FuafmoGiannulli

FuafmoGiannulli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:57 PM

Well, the other PC was able to boot off the USB stick. Now what are my options?

#7 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:06 PM

you need to go into bios and make USB number one in your boot order priority

#8 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:07 PM

you can enter safe mode by forcing it. you power it off as it booting a few times, takes u to a repair screen and then also the safe mode location. it in the link if you scroll down a bit i posted.

Underneath "WAY 1"

Edited by MasterNe0, 27 July 2018 - 02:08 PM.

#9 FuafmoGiannulli

FuafmoGiannulli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:11 PM

you can enter safe mode by forcing it. you power it off as it booting a few times, takes u to a repair screen and then also the safe mode location. it in the link if you scroll down a bit i posted.

It won't because it hangs at the 'entering auto repair' message. It gives that message then the screen goes black instead of whatever should come next. That, regular boot, booting off USB always goes to a black screen after showing the initial message or logo.

you need to go into bios and make USB number one in your boot order priority

Will do that when I get home in a bit and will report back. Thanks.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:19 PM

ASrock has a boot menu to select your USB device by tapping F8 or F11 at boot.   You would need to look at your MB manual for a boot menu key. I believe on the newer MBs the key is F11.

https://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=27

#11 FuafmoGiannulli

FuafmoGiannulli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:27 PM

ASrock has a boot menu to select your USB device by tapping F8 or F11 at boot.   You would need to look at your MB manual for a boot menu key. I believe on the newer MBs the key is F11.

https://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=27

Yeah I hit f11 to get to the boot menu then directly select the USB drive. Then it goes to an ASRock logo then black screen. I haven't set it to first in boot order so that's what I'll do next.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:39 PM

If the flash drive is in a USB 3 port change to a USB 2 port. If the MB has a fastboot/quickboot setting disable it.

#13 FuafmoGiannulli

FuafmoGiannulli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:35 PM

It was in a USB 3 port. Moved it to USB 2 no effect. Changed it to first in boot order, nothing changed. I will say that it gives two options for booting the USB stick. UEFI and USB. USB it does nothing-Tries booting the Windows SSD. UEFI it loads to a ASRock logo (then black screen) as described before instead of the Windows logo. So I'm still just getting blank black screens when trying to boot any way.

Edited by FuafmoGiannulli, 27 July 2018 - 03:36 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:01 PM

Use the Media Creation Tool to download an iso file of Windows 10 or you can use the Windows iso Downloader to download your version of the Windows 10 iso. 

After downloading the iso file use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Select GPT partition scheme.if you have a GPT/UEFI computer. Leave all boxes as checked. Press select and browse to your iso file. Press Start.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

#15 FuafmoGiannulli

FuafmoGiannulli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 05:28 PM

Use the Media Creation Tool to download an iso file of Windows 10 or you can use the Windows iso Downloader to download your version of the Windows 10 iso. 

After downloading the iso file use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Select GPT partition scheme.if you have a GPT/UEFI computer. Leave all boxes as checked. Press select and browse to your iso file. Press Start.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Is this going to allow me to boot into safe mode and attempt other things to repair whatever is wrong or will this just let me reinstall Windows? Just making sure. I do remember using Rufus to install Windows after I built this PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users