Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Severe Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 glace

glace

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:56 PM

Kind folks at BleepingComputer,

I continue my search across the internet tech support world in hopes to find a savior. I've been battling quite a doozie of a hardware problem for over a month now and so far it's been beating me down. This will probably be a fairly long post so please bear with me as I stumble through this.

Before I went to school, I installed a GeForce FX 5900 ultra card into my motherboard. I previously had a GeForce FX 5700 ultra installed on it so I was not worried about compatibility issues. My motherboard had nforce2 on it, supported ddr400 ram, agp 8x, and all of that goodness. I started receiving funky errors, even before getting into windows. I would receive a screen full of bright colored lines randomly and essentially would have to reboot my computer, whether I was POSTing or playing a game or browsing the internet. This never seemed to effect anything else, it was just a nuisance.

This soon progressed into receiving "kernel_stack_inpage" errors by a windows blue screen of death every few days. A reboot usually fixed this as well, and I had no virus on my master boot record. A few times, I would receive "unmountable_boot_volume" after a total system lockup and inevitably would have to reformat. Reformatting never solved my issues, as soon loading certain applications would result in a "chunking" sound from the hard drive and the system would lock. Mind you, I've probably formatted about 20 times between now and this whole ordeal.

Bad hard drive you say? Not really. I bought a new one, and I couldn't even install windows on it. The BIOS would recognize it, but not windows installation. Sometimes I'd boot up and bios would just hang at "detecting IDE devices," other times it would fly right through that check. Sometimes it wouldn't even detect my IDE devices at all. I scoured through the BIOS and made sure everything was set properly. Even so, the new hard drive would still make the chunking noises when installing windows.

The only time it ever seemed like my system could be stable is when I put the old geforce 2 video card back in, format and install windows (if I was lucky to be able to get that far) and it wouldn't do all the crashing business I listed above. Still, it wouldn't let me install drivers for the video card so it was pretty much useless other than having an operational PC. I had a perfectly good 5900 laying around, so why not?

Bad motherboard you say? Not really. I botched a JP1 CMOS clear and I believe I fried that board, because when I booted, everything would turn on, I even received power to the board, but I would not get any image or anything. Just a blank monitor. After ordering a new cheapy board that was pretty much the same board I had before, just the barebones to run my hardware. I thought a new motherboard would cure my woes. I installed it, put in the fx 5900 ultra, and much to my surprise, started experiencing some of the same stuff I did with the old board and hard drive!!!!!
Even with the old video card in, the new hard drive still wouldn't let me install windows on it. After being severly disappointed, I popped the old video card back in and tried to install windows on my old hard drive again. After several freezes, I eventually got to the installation procedure, except for one thing... it was running extremely slow. I left it on overnight to wake up to a frozen installation screen, a reboot and much to my mental health, a blank monitor. I turn it on, and NOTHING, other than fans and a little hard drive noise, the computer does not POST. I tried clearing CMOS and nothing.

As you may imagine if you actually read this far, I'm becoming wildly inpatient with this and am about at the end of my rope. The only other possible component that could be botched is the power supply, but its only a 2 year old antec truepower and that is a trusted name in power supplies. I fear also that I may have fried my processor, as I did not put NEW thermal grease on, I reused the stuff that was already on when putting the heatsink back on. It was an aftermarket heatsink, entirely copper (SLK thermalright) with a vantec tornado on the top. Though I had the fan turned down, that setup is pretty much overkill for my setup.

I apologize to anyone that read through this whole thing and has no idea what my problem is, but any feedback on this daunting issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

- glace

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:16 PM

Here's a link to the error that you described: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x77

It seems to be related to
- A memory problem
- disk hardware failure
- disk data corruption
- malware

First, I'd suggest that you review your Event Viewer for more error messages ( How-To here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/ )

I'd also search your hard drive for files that end in .dmp or .mdmp. If you find them, you can analyze them using this procedure: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

Post the analysis here for us to have a look at.

So, you've got a new hard drive, new motherboard, and new video card. You seem to experience problems either with the new stuff or with the old stuff - so the problem's in what's left.

Looking at the stuff relating to the one error message leaves us with a couple of possibilities:
1) Bad/corrupt/missing motherboard drivers
2) Malware
3) Bad memory
4) Other bad stuff (like a shorted NIC card that's affecting the mobo)

You can try downloading new mobo/chipset drivers and see if that helps
You can use this free, online scan to check for malware (it also checks the registry: http://safety.live.com/ )
You can use this free utility to check your memory: http://www.memtest86.com/ Be sure to follow the directions exactly. Let the test run for at least 2 hours (overnight is better).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 glace

glace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:17 PM

Haha I think you're misunderstanding me...

While I appreciate your help, I have absolutely NO computer right now thats operational.

#4 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:45 PM

hi, glace,

i think as you've more or less tried everything else, i would swap out the power supply for another, despite it being relatively new. i think i would've tried that long before now. if nothing else, at least you'll know one way or the other, and it only takes a few minutes to swap over.

good luck

#5 glace

glace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:55 PM

I checked my processor today...

I'm not sure, but there was a silver lining around the core.

I think I might have fried the processor after frying a motherboard. Doh. Never reuse thermal grease I guess, even when using good stuff.

As for now, I've become so frustrated Im not dealing with it anymore.

Oh well.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:17 AM

Sorry for missing that! My avatar is Ray Charles because I've got some vision problems - and I do miss things, especially in the longer posts!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:51 AM

I think I might have fried the processor after frying a motherboard. Doh. Never reuse thermal grease I guess, even when using good stuff.

You probably did.
With no thermal paste it would fry as soon as it was powered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users