Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my Samsung Laptop

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 fado5

fado5

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:38 AM

Hi all,

If I am in the wrong section I apologize, This is a mix of sections!

I am currently thinking of upgrading my laptop to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

The issues are, I upgraded to Windows 10 in late 2016 when MS were pushing the updates to everyone, it was early days but everything seemed to go ok until I was copying some large files to my external HDD when I realized the speed was extremely slow. After some digging I found that the drivers for my USB 3.0 ports "didn't exist" for Windows 10 (according to Samsung), this had my ports running at USB 1.0 speeds.

I reverted to Windows 7 in January 2017 and have been here since.

The main reason I upgraded in the first place was the laptop always seemed sluggish, especially on and after boot and on shutdown. I thought Windows 10 may have fixed this but I now suspect I need a RAM upgrade and possibly a HD upgrade.

The laptop is a Samsung NP350V5C-S02AU (specs below)

I am thinking of upgrading with another 4gb of RAM (have spare slot), and upgrading to a 500gb SSD or possibly 1tb SSHD.

My questions for you fine people is:

1. Should I go for the SSHD ($89 for 1TB) or the SSD ($309 for 1TB, $169 for 500GB)? I don't really game much or run any super heavy programs, MS office is about the bulk of it lately.

2. If I do get the SSD, can it be changed to a newer laptop down the line if need be? Obviously nothing is "future proof" but at the moment are all laptops pretty much the same connection as the HD I would be buying for mine?

3. Is there a way for me to find out if my laptop and its components are compatible with Windows 10 now? A lot can change in almost 2 years.

4. Am I only wasting my money on this laptop? Should I just leave it as is and think about buying another in a few years when this really dies?

Thanks guys, heads melted from it!

MANUFACTURER SPECS

Intel® Core i7™ 3610QM 2.3GHz
4GB DDR3 Memory
750GB SATA II Hard Disk Drive
15.6" LED LCD HD, Anti-Reflective Display
Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
AMD Radeon™ HD 7670M Graphics
DVD Super Multi Dual Layer Drive
Specifications
Operating System: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
System Colour: Titan Silver
Processor: Intel® Core i7™ 3610QM Processor (2.30 GHz, 6 MB)
Main Chipset: Intel® HM76
System Memory: 4GB (1600MHz DDR3 / 4GB x 1)
Memory Slot: 2 x SODIMM (Upgradeable to 8GB)
LCD: 15.6" Thin Bezel LED LCD HD (1366 x 768) 16:9, Anti-Reflective Display
Graphics: AMD Radeon™ HD 7670M
Graphic Memory: 1GB DDR3 (Ext. Graphic)
Multimedia
Sound: HD (High Definition) Audio
Sound Effect: SoundAlive™
Speaker: 3 W Stereo Speaker (1.5 W x 2)
Integrated Camera: Webcam
Storage
HDD: 750GB (5400 rpm SATA II)
ODD: DVD Super Multi Dual Layer
Communication
Modem: No
Wired Ethernet LAN: 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Wireless LAN: 802.11 bg/n 1X1
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0
Others
I/O Ports: 2x USB 3.0 + 2 x USB 2.0, VGA, HDMI, DVI, Headphone-Out, Mic-In, Internal Mic, 3-in-1 Memory Card Reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC), RJ45 (LAN), DC-In Power Port
Security: Norton Internet Security (60-day Trial), Boot Up Password, HDD Password, Kensington Lock Port, Samsung Recovery Solution
AC Adapter: 60 Watts
Battery: 6 Cell - 5.3hours (BatteryMark), 4 hours (DVD Play)

Edited by fado5, 27 July 2018 - 10:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:55 AM

1. Should I go for the SSHD ($89 for 1TB) or the SSD ($309 for 1TB, $169 for 500GB)? I don't really game much or run any super heavy programs, MS office is about the bulk of it lately.

Well you could go for the SSD as it will help in speed issues, and since you have a optical bay its possible to buy a caddy for it to host another hard edrive in your laptop (sure this means no more DVD player but external DVD players are dirt cheap)

SSHD's are sort of a mixed bag for me I rather have a pure SSD plus a standard hard drive separate.

2. If I do get the SSD, can it be changed to a newer laptop down the line if need be? Obviously nothing is "future proof" but at the moment are all laptops pretty much the same connection as the HD I would be buying for mine?

Yes for the most part but it depends on the new laptop you get, the only issue you will see if you get one of those newer low cost slimline laptops... avoid them.

Anything that is slim or Chromebook avoid it.

Is there a way for me to find out if my laptop and its components are compatible with Windows 10 now? A lot can change in almost 2 years.

It should be fine by now, I mean all OS's have growing pains but windows 10 has time to refine itself.

Its certainly improved in my opinion.

Am I only wasting my money on this laptop? Should I just leave it as is and think about buying another in a few years when this really dies?

Nah not really, its still got good hardware.

Sure ivy bridge is a bit old but its got some kick left in it still, heck I just got a laptop off craigslist a few weeks ago featuring the i5 3250M and it is alive and kicking ass.

Great machine too well worth the $100 I spent on it.

SSD's are cheap enough so is ddr3L and in truth your machine is still better then most low end sub $300 POS laptops, sure the processor is old but at least you can up the memory and turn on warp drive with a SSD

Edited by MadmanRB, 27 July 2018 - 10:57 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:09 AM

drivers for my USB 3.0 ports "didn't exist" for Windows 10

Depending on the chipset that is entirely possible. They probably do exist but are not compatible.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/679898/external-drives-not-useable-after-last-win-update/?p=4523170

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 July 2018 - 11:12 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:11 AM

This computer was originally released in 2012.  This means that this computer could be six years old which is old for a computer.  There are components in the computer which will breakdown over time, six years would be more than long enough.  An example would be the electrolytic capacitors.  These are used to regulate voltages.  These capacitors will eventually start losing their electrolytes, these will literally leak out and become inefficient for their applications.  HDDs are electromechanical devices which will wear out.  

With a computer of this age I would seriously consider purchasing a new computer rather than investing any more in the old one.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 fado5

fado5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for the reply Spoon!!!!

First off I would like to say I love your avatar! Seems like nobody remembers The Tick anymore! Kudos to you!

I'm going to stick with the point system!

1. Not sure I want to go down the road of 2 HD's mainly because I know I wont use it and I will end up needing a DVD drive someday and kicking myself for letting my external at home or something. Is there any reason you don't like the SSHD? Or is a preference thing? For me at the moment its more of a cost issue, the SSHD is half the price but seems it will give me "close" to SSD speeds, or at least half my current speeds.

2. Again this puts me at the point of should I just bite the bullet and go full SSD at 1TB and then I can re-use the drive if it comes to it.

3. Do you think it would be worthwhile upgrading to windows 10 again and hope for the best or is there a way for me to test all of my hardware beforehand?

4. $100 is a damn good buy for an i5, well done! Maybe a full upgrade is the way to go then.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:14 AM

This computer was originally released in 2012.  This means that this computer could be six years old which is old for a computer.  There are components in the computer which will breakdown over time, six years would be more than long enough.  An example would be the electrolytic capacitors.  These are used to regulate voltages.  These capacitors will eventually start losing their electrolytes, these will literally leak out and become inefficient for their applications.  HDDs are electromechanical devices which will wear out.  

With a computer of this age I would seriously consider purchasing a new computer rather than investing any more in the old one.

Eh it wouldn't hurt though as again ddr3l is cheap as are SSD's, both are easy to swap over to a new machine as ddr3l is still common in modern laptops and SSD's are very worth it too for pure speed.

Even if his laptop dies next year those can be carried over, its not the end of the world.

I mean a 4 gig stick of ddr3l is is about $30-40 US and one could always re sell it.

Plus with TLC one can make hardware last a long time.

Edited by MadmanRB, 27 July 2018 - 11:21 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 fado5

fado5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:37 AM

Damn.. 

Things were looking hopeful there!

Yeah I can get a Kingston 4GB DDR3L for $54 and the 1TB SSHD for $89. If thats something I can bring with me to a new laptop then its not a bad investment?

Hell if I can get Windows 10 running on this then I cant see me upgrading for a very long time!

It may be old but it really hasn't been used all that much. It's spent a lot of its life lying around. Battery still holds a great charge, same as it did on day 1 I would think.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:54 AM

Yeah if space is a concern I would go for the SSHD, i mean they are not terrible but not my personal choice.

As for ram yes you could easily transfer that into a new machine or again sell it off someone will buy it from you on ebay or something like that just in case you get one of those garbage sub $300 laptops.

As for windows 10 its worth a try at least to give it a go, worse comes to worse you can still roll back to windows 7 until it reaches EOL in 2020.

Now if your laptop does live that long you could always make your laptop into a linux machine, heck dual booting linux is not a bad idea on that machine if windows 10 will not work.

The linux option is something to consider if everything else goes pear shaped, sure it wont run MS office natively but there are office alternatives and MS office online can be used on linux.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 fado5

fado5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:03 PM

I have only very lightly touched linux, I got myself a Raspberry Pi and was messing around with it.. Mainly for Kodi. Think it's worth having a play around with? Is speed the main advantage or?

I will probably avoid those cheap slimline laptops tbh. and if I was leaving myself the option of turning a future $600 laptop into a $800/$900 laptop using the parts I buy now then it would definitely be worth it. I know there is DDR4 RAM now but is it being widely used or is it still a high end part and most laptops still come with DDR3 now?

When you say EOL do you mean MS will stop supporting it same as they did with XP back when? I imagine I will have a new laptop by 2020 for sure but the Windows 10 would be good for now at least.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

Windows operating systems have a life cycle, all will eventually no longer be supported by Microsoft.  You can view the life cycle for Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 fado5

fado5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:35 PM

Ah.. I see.

Ok so I was looking over my old emails from Samsung and they said that I had to revert because the chipset was not compatible with Windows 10.

My chipset is the Intel® 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller.

Yet when I google "Intel® 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller for Windows 10" I get loads of results for drivers for that chipset for windows 10. Does that mean the problem has been fixed or?

#12 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:05 PM

You can always backup your partitions with Macrium Reflect or similar and then try w10 afterwards. If something goes wrong, going back to w7 is as easy as restoring those backups.

NB. For extra safety, verify your backups after creation.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:14 PM

Worth a read. YMMV.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/82331

#14 fado5

fado5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:30 PM

You can always backup your partitions with Macrium Reflect or similar and then try w10 afterwards. If something goes wrong, going back to w7 is as easy as restoring those backups.

NB. For extra safety, verify your backups after creation.

Yeah it looks like I may have to do something like this. If I create an ISO of my system, save that to an external HD then that would get me right back to where I am now if I need to revert again wouldn't it?

Hmm.. Sounds very familiar doesn't it.. Good searching! There was one guy said he got a driver to work for him that got his USB hubs working but then the last guy had the exact same problem as me (USB 3.0 not working properly) didn't see a mention of him finding a solution.. damn,, 

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:12 PM

I have only very lightly touched linux, I got myself a Raspberry Pi and was messing around with it.. Mainly for Kodi. Think it's worth having a play around with? Is speed the main advantage or?

I will probably avoid those cheap slimline laptops tbh. and if I was leaving myself the option of turning a future $600 laptop into a $800/$900 laptop using the parts I buy now then it would definitely be worth it. I know there is DDR4 RAM now but is it being widely used or is it still a high end part and most laptops still come with DDR3 now?

When you say EOL do you mean MS will stop supporting it same as they did with XP back when? I imagine I will have a new laptop by 2020 for sure but the Windows 10 would be good for now at least.

Well the reason why i brought up the linux option is if windows 10 fails, keep in mind that windows 7 is on extended support so you may not get updates as fast.

Microsoft has a nasty reputation of neglecting older systems when they are trying to push a new version.

Its mainly a suggestion to dual boot linux as at least you can have something to fall back on once windows 7 loses support and there is really no harm in attempting a dual boot.

As for memory in laptops yeah even some modern laptops use ddr3l, but by any chance there is a laptop you get that has ddr4 there is still the chance to sell off your RAM, there are people out there who still have old laptops like yours who may need it :D

Sure you wont be able to get what you paid for it but sell it off near half price you would get a bite

Edited by MadmanRB, 27 July 2018 - 03:49 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users