Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing IP Address

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:22 AM

It should be a simple issue to change the IP address but  from  what I see on the web - it is not.

IP address is to my mind a vital security element and should be convenient to change at  any time.

Reading the various web suggestions is a spaghetti junction of complex and suspect "methods".

One says to leave the computer without power for a few minutes or better still overnight and the IP will renew - it does not !

Another says this -

"Click Start->Run, type cmd and press Enter. Type ipconfig /release at the prompt window, press Enter, it will release the current IP configuration. Type ipconfig /renew at the prompt window, press Enter, wait for a while, the DHCP server will assign a new IP address for your computer."

Not tried it, but sceptical.

Your comments please - thank you.

PS - My computer is a desktop using a modem. Server is Virgin Media - Broadband.

Edited by Beaker77, 27 July 2018 - 08:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:01 AM

i am assuming you are talking about your ISP/web IP address??

the methods you are suggesting will only change your LOCAL IP address on your own home network,

that will not change your internet IP address.....that is assigned by your ISP

Edited by mikey11, 27 July 2018 - 09:02 AM.

#3 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 08:06 AM

Your IP addy is your address on the network to receive the data you requested, just like your mailbox address at home!

Why does your IP concern you?

What security concerns are you talking about?

If spoofing is your game, Tunnel through VPN....... then they wont know if your Arthur or Martha.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:55 AM

This is another of those ideas that I have no idea where they get started.

As Replicator has said, an IP address is common public knowledge.  If you change it (even if you have your ISP change it) it instantly becomes common public knowledge on cyberspace again.  It's how things get sent to/from you to the world at large.

No one should know your IP addresses on your LAN but other devices on your LAN, but even if they did there are but a few "general formats" in use around the world, 192.168.1.X, where X is typically the only octet that changes, is an extremely common one.

If you are going to be connected to cyberspace all the world will know your public IP address, assigned by your ISP, because it needs to know it in order to communicate with you (and you with the world).

IP addresses are not private, e-mail addresses are not private, even your name is not private (as it's used constantly in day-to-day interactions and is part of the public record).  The last you can, to a certain extent, "clutch close" while the former two are entirely out of your control the moment they're being used.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 681 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:15 AM

Hi, Beaker77!

Yes, you should try both of the ipconfig commands in the specified order to change your local IP address.

However, you may have to contact your ISP if you want to change your web IP address.

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 28 July 2018 - 11:19 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#6 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:57 AM

Very simple, all the world knows my home address after 40 years living here.
If I moved - all the world would no longer know my new home address, only those I choose to let have it.

Same with my IP - thousands of sites know my IP. If I changed it only those sites I then contacted would know my new IP. A fresh start.

Sound sensible to me.
If I had a dynamic IP supplied, it would change frequently.

It should be my choice whether I have a new IP every single day or keep it for life.

#7 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:04 AM

It should be my choice whether I have a new IP every single day or keep it for life.

why?

that would be like moving where you live everyday,

there's no reason for it, unless you are into shady activity and don't want to be found,

simple question.....what is your reasoning for wanting a new IP address?

Edited by mikey11, 29 July 2018 - 10:05 AM.

#8 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:14 AM

why?

that would be like moving where you live everyday,

there's no reason for it, unless you are into shady activity and don't want to be found,

simple question.....what is your reasoning for wanting a new IP address?

My reason ?

Its as obvious as apple pie to me.

If the whole world knows it is ME by a 9 digit number, some sites good, bad or ugly, then if I change my 9 digit number - I  disappear from  their radar  and appear as a perfect stranger.

What is the problem with that as a security measure ? Sounds elementary to me.

My motive is MY business. I asked a question, please concentrate on that, not my motives.

Edited by Beaker77, 29 July 2018 - 10:24 AM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,129 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:21 AM

You are equating apples and oranges.

Also, since real estate transactions are a matter of public record, and are online in the vast majority of venues these days, if I know you moved (or even if I didn't) it's relatively easy to find you.

There is no way to be online without an IP address.  The moment you are online with any IP address you are as known as you're going to get, effectively.  What you propose is an exercise in futility, but you just cannot admit it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:50 AM

Please forget it, I thought BC was a technical Forum - my mistake.

Edited by Beaker77, 29 July 2018 - 11:00 AM.

#11 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:34 AM

Hey Beaker, just tunnel through a VPN mate, I use Mullvad

This will solve your business issue's as your IP will show as coming from another country other than where you reside, and your ISP will not be able to intercept your traffic and on-sell it to third party advertisers!

It costs about 4 USD per month, but well worth your privacy and super-fast!

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#12 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 681 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:00 AM

Hi again, Beaker77!

Alternatively, you can call your ISP and ask them to supply you a router with (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol -- DHCP).

More information is available from here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,129 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:40 PM

midimusicman79,

As the article you point to states, "Most residential network routers receive a globally unique IP address within the ISP network. Within a local network, a DHCP server assigns a local IP address to each device connected to the network."

Unless you are willing to pay big bucks to an ISP for no useful purpose (and for many, even if you were willing to) most will not let you request a new IP address on demand.  Most little guys, home and small office users, can have their IP addresses (that of their router, which is what gets assigned by the ISP) changed if the ISP needs to do so and they'll never know it has occurred unless it occurs at a very inopportune moment where something is in progress that would "burp" as a result.  As has already been pointed out, VPNs are most commonly used by those who want to randomly change their IP/location and they're cheap and easy to use.

What I find most amusing about this whole thread is that large organizations pay some really big bucks to maintain static IP addresses rather than have them possibly be reassigned by DHCP.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:50 PM

when i am going to be away from home for a few days (2-3 days) i unplug my ISP router, when i return home and plug it back in sometimes my IP address changes, sometimes it does not

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,129 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:58 PM

when i am going to be away from home for a few days (2-3 days) i unplug my ISP router, when i return home and plug it back in sometimes my IP address changes, sometimes it does not

This is an example of a dynamically assigned (but functionally static once you have it, for the most part) IP address being released by the ISP for reuse when it's not been in use for some set period of time and when another device needs to be assigned one.  The "set period of time" can vary, widely, based upon supply and demand for IP addresses within an arbitrary time period.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users