Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Move old SSD to new Windows 10 laptop?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:10 AM

Please tell me if the following is feasible and what pitfalls I may encounter.

I have an 8 year old Windows 7 laptop with a 500GB SSD. I will be purchasing a Windows 10 laptop with a 'regular' (not SSD) hard drive. Can I do the following, what problems may occur, and what should be the requirements of the SSD vs hard drive?

-- Create system image of Windows 10 laptop

-- Remove hard drive from Windows 10 laptop

-- Remove SSD from Windows 7 laptop and install the SSD into the Windows 10 laptop

-- Restore the system image to the SSD in the Windows 10 laptop

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:36 AM

If by system image you mean the full disk image by a program like Macrium Free, Aomei Backupper, or Easeus Todo Backup Free then yes your steps will work. 

If your USB external has enough capacity to hold two images I would also image your Windows 7 SSD then restore that to the Windows 10 hard disk you removed or put linux on the old computer if you didn't plan on using. Mint should run very well on it.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3597

System requirements:

• 1GB RAM (2GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
  • 15GB of disk space (20GB recommended).
  • 1024×768 resolution (on lower resolutions, press ALT to drag windows with the mouse if they don’t fit in the screen).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTb2KL3ZTu8

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,292 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:16 AM

Yes all is possible, though i think you should bet a external HDD caddy as you could use the newer hard drive from the new laptop as as external

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:21 AM

When a installation of Windows completes, one of the last things it does is to setup the applications and drivers you need to start the computer.  If you take a mass storage device from the computer where the operating system was installed the computer may not be able to start because the settings from the other computer are not compatible with the other computer.  But you can get around this by using sysprep.exe to generalize the mass storage device after which you can install it in another computer without complications.  Once this is done the operating system will find the needed applications and drivers and assign these for the startup.

If you run sysprep on the HHD/SSD with Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 before using it with another motherboard you should be be able to boot from it without any complications. 

Press the windows key OS4o0pO.png and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

Select Command Prompt (Admin.) from the menu.  This will open the Command Prompt. 

Copy and paste sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown in the Command Prompt.

Once you have completed this shut down the computer and do not power the drive back on until it has been installed with the different motherboard.

Note: You'll want to install the new motherboard chipset drivers for the new motherboard after moving the drive.

When the computer is started Windows will search for the needed drivers needed to start Windows.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:16 PM

dc3, 

From the OP's first post, I don't think they are changing hardware. They are creating a system image of the Windows 10 OS, replacing the HDD with a SSD from another computer, then restoring the Windows 10 image to the SSD. Other than making sure Trim is enabled I don't think there would be a problem.

-- Remove SSD from Windows 7 laptop and install the SSD into the Windows 10 laptop

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,240 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:51 PM

What happened to the SSD's transfer software???  If you don't have you may be able to down load it from the makers site.  That is the simplest way also leaving the 10 drive fully intact.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:04 AM

dc3, 

From the OP's first post, I don't think they are changing hardware. They are creating a system image of the Windows 10 OS, replacing the HDD with a SSD from another computer, then restoring the Windows 10 image to the SSD. Other than making sure Trim is enabled I don't think there would be a problem.

I appreciate that John.  I was only suggesting that there is the possibility to move the hdd/ssd to another computer without worrying about compromising its content.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:15 AM

I appreciate that John.  I was only suggesting that there is the possibility to move the hdd/ssd to another computer without worrying about compromising its content.

Gotcha.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users