Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Frequent BSOD

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 NeonPotatoe

NeonPotatoe

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:40 AM

Hello, I recently did a computer reset (deleted personal files, but didn't do a full drive clean) have been getting frequent blue screens of varying errors ever since.

Note: I have had some power related hardware issues in the past (If I unplug my laptop and pick it up sometimes it turns off immediately even with 100% battery) though, this issue has been around for 2 years and I have not gotten blue screens prior to the computer reset.

I have updated my video card, and wifi drivers thus far. (wifi didn't work prior to reinstalling the driver)

Windows update never moves from 0KB's downloaded (I think it is downloading but insanely slowly) I have managed to get 80-90 updates installed, but I usually just blue screen in the middle of the "download" process, and then find out the past hour has still downloaded not a single update (no option to update and restart). Will probably manage to get through the rest in 12 hours or so.. hopefully.

Naturally updating via device manager doesn't work, have to do manual updates through the browser.

Speccy Snapshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/dfnjwJe1xFOpN5lnc5CLWD8

Note: I am lucky to stay on for 10-15 minutes without getting a blue screen, so any scans that require a long time to complete and need my computer on are unlikely to be possible. (Took 3 tries to finish Sysnative without getting a blue screen)

Any help would be appreciated.

Mod Edit :-  I have deleted the post you accidentaally made in in Win 8 Support.

Chris Cosgrove

Attached Files

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 23 August 2018 - 04:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:26 AM

Hi,

I believe that the logs didn't make the trip. Can you try again?

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 NeonPotatoe

NeonPotatoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:21 AM

My bad, I choose a file but forgot to hit the attach button lol.

Attached Files

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:24 PM

Alright, can you run https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576333/driver-verifier-bsod-related-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/ for 24 hours (or so)?

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 NeonPotatoe

NeonPotatoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:50 PM

Guess I will find out pretty soon.

See you in 20 some odd hours. 

#6 NeonPotatoe

NeonPotatoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:14 PM

When using Driver verifier what exactly is supposed to happen?

I followed the steps and restarted after it prompted me to do so, but didn't notice anything different, does it run in the background?

#7 NeonPotatoe

NeonPotatoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 12:06 AM

Got it working ran for roughly 30 hours, majority of the time would have probably been sat at a blue screen when I was afk if that matters any.

Out of curiosity checked through the dump listed 1 error each, likely caused by fltmgr.sys, aswSnx.sys, aswbidsrivera.sys, and 28 from ntoskrnl.exe.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Dump.zip   398.93KB   2 downloads

#8 NeonPotatoe

NeonPotatoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:30 AM

Thought I just had bad luck and if I tried another reset things would go better.

Reset failed and windows no longer boots up, restore point got deleted in the process, safe mode can't boot.

System refresh and reset both fail half way through.

Is there anything other than completely reinstalling windows at this point?

Edit: Also auto repair can't fix it.

Edited by NeonPotatoe, 30 July 2018 - 07:38 AM.

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:15 AM

Hi,

Sorry for the late response.

When using Driver verifier what exactly is supposed to happen?

I followed the steps and restarted after it prompted me to do so, but didn't notice anything different, does it run in the background?

Driver Verifier runs in the background. Once you enable it and restart your machine, you shouldn't notice it, except for some performance issues.

Thought I just had bad luck and if I tried another reset things would go better.

Why did you reset your machine? Did Driver Verifier fail or were you just sick and tired of the blue screens?

#10 NeonPotatoe

NeonPotatoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 01:43 PM

I was just tired of the blue screens. I assumed the first reset had gone wrong and stupidly thought a second attempt might fix it. Thought worse case scenario it would be back to square 1, didn't expect it to completely crap out on me.

Edited by NeonPotatoe, 02 August 2018 - 03:52 AM.

#11 NeonPotatoe

NeonPotatoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:58 AM

Tried memtest and it shoots up to 16k errors within 10 seconds and aborts due to too many errors immediately.

Is this a bug or is my ram just that bad?

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:30 PM

Tried memtest and it shoots up to 16k errors within 10 seconds and aborts due to too many errors immediately.

Is this a bug or is my ram just that bad?

MemTest86 is generally quite reliable, so it's likely that your RAM is bad. Which is a bit of a surprise, if I may add, considering the dumps mostly pointed to pool and severe memory corruption caused by Avast. Can you try reseating your RAM sticks and ensuring the DIMM slots are clean? Are the voltages set correctly according to your motherboard manual? Can you make sure that your computer is dust-free as well? Your temps are a bit high, but currently it's summer so they could actually be normal...

Edited by bwv848, 02 August 2018 - 02:31 PM.

#13 NeonPotatoe

NeonPotatoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:18 PM

Fans were pretty dusty, was only able to get to 2/4 of the ram sticks, one of the screws wouldn't budge.

Can't exactly test individual ram if I can't get the screws out, sent it to a local shop, see if he can.

Sidenote: I've tried reinstalling windows 7,8,10 reformatted both drives, and ran chkdsk/SFC multiple times.

Nothing worked, so not sure what else it could be if it's not a hardware problem.

Will update when I hear back from the place.

Edited by NeonPotatoe, 03 August 2018 - 02:19 PM.

#14 NeonPotatoe

NeonPotatoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:28 PM

Guessing the ram got messed up during the reset and started the corruption, which avast probably made worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users