Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can running a single core application on a multicore dmg the CPU?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Disorganizer

Disorganizer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:17 AM

Hi there folks,

what i have here isnt so much a problem as it is a question. I have an Asus Aspire A515 51G 58ug. ( Thats an I5 8250u, with a Geforce MX150 8gb ram and a 256SSD. ) Everything is running fine, the temperatures measured with coretemp (39/40 C idle, 49-60 C on 2D, 65 - 83 on 3D games) are well within reason for a Multimedia Mass Market Laptop. Here is a question though:

Not all of my games can actually take advantage of the 4 cores of my CPU - Neverwinternights 2 for example does not. (And since it isnt programmed all that well, it still gives my CPU a run for its money, despite being 12 years old. NWN2 slathers all of its load onto one core, which consequently is more taxed and runs a bit hotter than the others.

My question for you guys is, if running a single core on a multicore CPU for extended periods can damage the CPU as a whole. ON lower temperatures, effects like these are probably negligible, but what about a long gaming session?

I could upload a Coretemp log of me playing NWN2 for an hour or so. Last time i checked, i never crossed 78 C even with the unlucky core NWN2 decided to agonize.

If you got the time, some advice would be appreciated,

Sincerely,

Disorganizer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:07 AM

I don't think using just one core can damage a cpu, but always keep an eye on temps just in case something goes wrong.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:23 AM

FWIW.

Systems are built to run programs...some programs utilize multicores, some don't.  Some multitask, some don't.

From checking when I am encoding video...I would say that it would be unusual for all cores to be involved in a single process/program.  Not all programs are written so that require or can take advantage of multiple cores of a system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users