Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU Overclocking

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HaythamKenway

HaythamKenway

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:55 PM

Hey guys 

I am looking for overclocking  software like "MSI Afterburner"  for Ubuntu Linux 

Any software available ??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:40 AM

No not really, I mean technically you can such as this:

https://noobminer.xyz/overclocking-multiple-nvidia-graphics-card-linux/

or this:

https://linuxconfig.org/overclock-your-radeon-gpu-with-amdgpu

But its not as effective if you are into that sort of thing.

Keep in mind GPU support in linux while getting better is still a bit behind Windows, i mean its not that far off but right now tools for overclocking and such are not really a priority with linux devs, its actually making the drivers work to begin with (heres looking at you nvidia)

And you sure as heck wont see companies like MSI or gigabyte create a tool for linux anytime soon.

Still at least its sort of possible in linux its near impossible to to do under OSX so at least its better than a Mac

Not that you would want to overclock a mac as most modern macs have terrible thermal design

Edited by MadmanRB, 27 July 2018 - 09:44 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 HaythamKenway

HaythamKenway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 12:12 PM

Thank you for your help but i have some questions :

what the mean of those letters ?? (in terminal)

How can i change memory clock?

How can i change core clock?

i am new in Ubuntu 

It looks hard .

could you have video link or something to learn this overclocking ??

Edited by HaythamKenway, 29 July 2018 - 12:13 PM.

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 03:43 PM

You want my advice? Stick with Windoze.

If you're one of these guys who's into squeezing every last ounce of performance out of their hardware, Redmond's lame excuse for an OS does do this kinda thing rather well.

Linux is extremely versatile, and very good at an awful lot of things.....but over-clocking is NOT one of them. So it makes sense to stay with the OS that can supply the goods, and which everybody & his dog writes software for....

Mike.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 29 July 2018 - 04:09 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 04:13 PM

This is why its a good idea to dual boot.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:25 PM

Madman's right, of course. It'll be a cold, wet Sunday in Hell before you'll ever see the likes of GigaByte & MSI, etc, writing anything for Linux. Linux might run the Internet, but the desktop userbase is just too small to justify companies like those investing the time, staff & training to accommodate the likes of us...

So it makes sense to keep Windoze around. Depends how much you value your sanity, I guess!

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:42 PM

Also, CPUs seem to have to do more processing to display graphics in Linux, than in Windows. I suspect that same as with sound, this is because Linux uses its kernel for video, and Windows doesn't.

With computers that have ample processing power (for whatever they are used for), this isn't an issue, but it can become a problem when the CPU's workload is intensive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users