Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory/DIMM slot issues BSOD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pan9k

pan9k

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:35 PM

Hello everyone,

I started getting blue screens and freezes two weeks back and after some experimenting I found that my DIMM slots 1+2 will cause freezing if any RAM is in them. Slots 3+4 can both have sticks and it is stable which stinks because there goes the dual channel. 

I have ran windows memory diagnostic on all three sticks with no errors coming back but someone told me the windows check isn't very good. I am pretty confident all three sticks are ok and that the DIMM slots are the issue. Can I use memtest86 to test the DIMM slots? 

Lastly I tried to use memtest86 by writing it onto a USB, it said writing complete I clicked on the USB drive and it says permission denied or something so I restarted and I met with a continuous BSOD loop with critical failure and it didntstop until I removed the USB.

I have reinstalled windows twice and updated my BIOS to latest, lowered raised DRAM freq and lowers and raised voltage, everything is back to default now. Any ideas as to my problem? Also what am I doing wrong with memtest86?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:13 PM

Memtest86+ Guide-How To's - Overclockers Forums - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152

Note that testing involves testing each module...in each slot...one by one...then testing various combinations of modules on the motherboard.  Such testing requires patience and a willingness to ascertain if the perceived problems relate to either the RAM modules or the RAM slots.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 10:47 AM

We need more information about your computer, like the make and model of this computer, what operating system you are running?

For the rest of the needed information please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png 

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

We need to know the proper population for this motherboard.  Most motherboards now have two setts of DIMM slots and the RAM population may vary depending on the motherboard.  Some slots are titled A1  A2  B1  B2, other may be titles Slot 1, 2, etc. 

Example:    6h6WiFh.png

As you can see the RAM is populated to specific DIMM slots for dual and quad channels.  Dual channel should be installed in slots DDR_1 and DDR_3.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users