Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about PDF on new machine opening Microsoft Edge automatically

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:23 PM

This is a first for me. I bought a Lenovo Flex 2 in 1 laptop and the first thing I always do is load Chrome as it's my preferred browser. Then I remove the Microsoft Edge browser from my task bar as I won't use it.  I also like to use File Explorer to view files and one of the first things I noticed was my new PDFs are not viewable. So, I don't like that. Then when I open one of my PDFs it automatically opens Microsoft Edge browser to read it. I prefer Adobe Acrobat. Plus I will be out of town this weekend and want to be able to read these PDFs but not sure I can since it opens Microsoft Edge.

So, I thought I would download Adobe Acrobat since that's the way I have normally viewed PDFs and this machine did not have it.  I assume downloading Adobe is okay to do yes?

Assuming the answer is yes, how do I convert my existing PDFs to Adobe?

Many thanks for any help!!

Edited by tobyo, 26 July 2018 - 04:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:38 PM

Edge has a built in extension for reading PDFs which is why you are seeing them there.

There is nothing to stop you installing Adobe Reader - or any other PDF reader and there are plenty - onto your laptop. If you can't find it in the MS App store then just go to Adobe's web-site to download it.

Once you have it installed, to make it be the default program for PDFs then you will need to go into settings and find the screen 'default apps' and select Adobe Reader as your preferred app for PDFs otherwise Edge will keep on opening them. Sorry I can't be more precise about exactly where these settings are as I don't have a computer running 10 up at the moment.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:31 PM

You don't have to convert anything. PDFs will open when clicked on, with any PDF program you have installed. BTW, there are numerous alternatives to Adobe PDF.

Here are some [Free] to check out:

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-pdf-reader

https://fossbytes.com/best-free-pdf-reader-windows/

Edited by saw101, 26 July 2018 - 07:38 PM.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#4 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:45 PM

Thanks Chris. That's exactly what I needed. And actually? After it was done downloading a window opened that asked me if I wanted it to be my default and of course I said YES!!!  so I am all set.  Thanks again.

#5 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:47 PM

You don't have to convert anything. PDFs will open when clicked on, with any PDF program you have installed. BTW, there are numerous alternatives to Adobe PDF.

Here are some [Free] to check out:

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-pdf-reader

https://fossbytes.com/best-free-pdf-reader-windows/

I just found out that I didn't need to convert!  I am so happy now!!! I am used to Adobe and that's another reason I wanted that one but thanks for the information nonetheless.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 05:33 PM

Well I am glad you are happy but you may still need to go into settings and make the change there as well. With at least some applications merely selecting them as default when you install them is not sufficient to convince Win 10 that you really meant it !

Chris Cosgrove

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 04:26 PM

On all recent windows versions (it applied in 7 / 8/ 8.1 I think) you typically have to change default programs in several places for your changes to be accepted, make sure to associate your desired pdf viewer with the .pdf file type as well as setting it via the usual defaults.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:08 PM

Well at least it didn't involve the infamous .xps tripe/fiasco a while back[pdf replacement], some consortium of sorts nixed that before it got out of hand thankfully.

misc.: """"" . . .  XML Paper Specification, each sail through Ecma

[future pocc edit>>grammar flop, its ECMA] and are then adopted by ISO/IEC JTC1, 

then I think that we might as well declare 'game over' for open standards.   . . .  """

It looks like everything has been thoroughly explained to the nth detail/degree for the OP [ #1 icon_share.png

tobyo

] pdf inquiry --- so , naturally I've nothing more to contribute.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users