Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Signal - Upgrade following dead mobo

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mortyb

mortyb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 03:46 PM

Here is my problem. My son's PC was working perfectly and after a spark and a pop from it it would not send a signal to the monitor.

Tried various cables and monitors and no joy. Checked the Mobo and saw the atx power connecter was burnt on both PSU connector and mobo.

So bought new pre-built and tested mobo and processor bundle, re built it all and still having same problem!!

Took out the GPU and tried it with the on board graphics card. Same problem!!

The PSU seems to be working fine (unplugged burnt connector) and everything is whirring away and LED's are lit up. By process of elimination I'm thinking it could be the PSU. Getting "no signal" whatsoever to any monitor or tv.

I have even tried just using using just one ram stick at a time.

Current system.

Asus M5A78L-M USB3 MOBO
AMD VISHERA FX-8350 PROCESSOR
16GB DDR3 RAM
WD 1TB SATA HDD
ASUS GEFORCE GTX1050TI GPU
TRUST 570WATT PSU.

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2018 - 03:54 PM.
Moved from Buying New to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:57 PM

the atx power connecter was burnt on both PSU connector and mobo

Unfortunately this is what is called a 'catastrophic failure' and you are definitely correct to replace the mobo but I would replace the PSU as well but it is possible the damage didn't stop there.

Is there any way you could try the RAM sticks in another computer, they too could have been fried ?  Failing that, see if you can lay your hands on another RAM stick, even 2GB would be enough to get most OS running, perhaps not well but running.

To do this amount of damage either something went dead short on your mobo, causing a major current surge which did the damage, or your PSU generated a major voltage overload which caused the increased current which did the damage. If it was the PSU which caused this current surge then anything connected to it could also be damaged. But test the RAM first or try a different stick.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 mortyb

mortyb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:20 AM

Thanks Chris, that's sound advice. I've put in a brand new PSU and still the same. I don't have another RAM stick to try so have ordered a new 8gb stick.

Once that is in the whole system is essentially brand new.

Should the mobo beep when powered up as it isn't. I doubt very much the new mobo is faulty as it was pre built with the new processor and tested prior to shipping.

Thanks again for your help.

G

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users