Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen resolution

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WillemOfOrange

WillemOfOrange

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:57 AM

Hello,

I'm having problems setting my screen resolution. Here's the problem:

My main monitor is an HP Compaq LA2205wg, which has a resolution of 1680x1050. I've used this one for about six years now, and it always ran on 1680x1050.

Two weeks ago, I added a second monitor. This one, an Acer v196wl, has a resolution of 1440x900.

When I added this second monitor, everything went quite well. The main monitor ran on 1680x1050, and I could 'park' google chrome tabs on the smaller monitor. It nicely extended my screen.

That went well for a few times. Up until I started my pc up again, turning the smaller screen on first, and then the main one. Then my view suddenly had an 800x600 resolution. I tried everything I could, but eventually, I was forced to do a small system reboot to force it back to 1680x1050. That worked.

Since then I've been on a little holiday for three days, so today I started my pc up again. It, again, gave me an 800x600 resolution. I can't do a system reboot anymore, because it doesn't have any backup points before this happened.

I can set the resolution on 1600x1200, but that's not what I want. Besides, the smaller monitor won't work on that set resolution (and it does on 1680x1050).

So what can I do about this?

I have an HP Pro 3400 Series MT desktop computer, with a built-in graphics card. Windows 7 Professional.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:49 PM

You don't make any reference to the interface(s) being used.  Adapters and converters are the worst approach as some units and cards do handshaking with the monitors and if either has defaulted to a factory setting, when the system powers up, it would get clues as to what resolution to use.  Interfaces need to be fed directly without adapters, converters or adapter cabling as many don't have the handshaking ability or is not supported by the mfgr.  Combinations of any two of VGA, HDMI and DVI work well.

#3 WillemOfOrange

WillemOfOrange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:38 PM

I'm sorry I don't follow you that well. What interface(s) do I need to reference?

One has a VGA cable from the monitor to the pc, the other has a DVI cable.

Edited by WillemOfOrange, 26 July 2018 - 01:38 PM.

#4 WillemOfOrange

WillemOfOrange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:40 AM

Solved: it was a problem with my graphics driver.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:55 PM

Glad you resolved it...thanks for letting us know.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:18 PM

I suggest if Windows Update is set to allow Windows to update drivers for you, consider changing this setting. It is a cause of random driver problems, when Windows finds an "update" and installs a more recent generic driver that doesn't work as well as the specific manufacturer developed driver you already have.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users