Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Gmail account in my name

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PianoMan55

PianoMan55

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:59 AM

Today when I tried to sign in to Gmail, it showed the window asking which account to use. The first one is the one I created, but the second one is larrycoffin@gmail.com. Never have I had an account like that. The only other account I created was deleted 5 years ago, but it was nothing like the one shown. I have no idea what the password would be, so there is no way I could find to delete it. 

I cannot find any way to delete it, and according to the Google forum answers to other people, there is really no way to do it. Any suggestions on that? This is critical if someone created an account with my full name in it.

Also, I sent 6 different scans to Malwarebytes this morning because there are some screwy things going on in my PC. Something has disabled the Defender Firewall and when the desktop first loads, 2 Cmd Prompt windows flash on the screen for about 3 seconds. I KNOW that ain't right!

NEED HELP FAST!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:41 PM

This is critical if someone created an account with my full name in it.

You mean larrycoffin@gmail.com?

As for your infected machine: please read the guidelines of this forum: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-help/

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:58 PM

Sorry. That should have been larrycoffin123@gmail.com. I finally solved part of the mystery. It was an account I created when I first came back to civilization 7 years ago. In 2015 I changed it to the current one, but don't recall why. I put it into Gmail sign-in, used a password that was most probable, jumped through some hoops, reset the password and the emails that came up were from winter 2014 before it deleted it. This is the first time I have signed in to Gmail that it showed up below my current one. Been so long I had forgotten about it.
But it leaves me wondering why a deleted account suddenly shows up????????

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,719 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:06 PM

When you created your actual Gmail account, did you provide a recovery/alternate email address? Was it larrycoffin123@gmail.com?

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:22 PM

No. I use a friend's American Airlines email address. I cannot understand why,after 4 or5 years, it would suddenly show up as an active account. At any rate, after I find what has disabled McAfee and Malwarebytesi will delete the account again.
I realized I have a problem when I booted up and the desktop finished loading, 2 Cmd Prompt Windows flashed on the screen. I am trying a restore to 7/24 yo see if that cures the problem. I don't have anything important on C Drive as all important stuff is on externals that are unplugged except when I need to use them. My Google and MS passwords are the only thing that are on it, but of course those have a lot of personal info.

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,719 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

What do you mean exactly with "delete the account again"? Delete it from your computer? Because that account also exists on Google's servers, where you would need to delete it too.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

#7 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 05:22 PM

Somewhere in My Account there is an option to delete a Google account which is supposed to completely wipe out the account and associated data. I distinctly recall deleting that account because Google notified me of a compromise on 2 occassions after having changed my password both time. I recall it because I took the Heartsong from my prison music ministry I had going for several years.

#8 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:57 AM

Whats the problem, an old account you created cant hurt you until you sign into it and enable a session ID.

If it lies dormant for all these years, let it do so!

Who cares if its compromised, there is no connection to you unless you activate it again on your system......it would take user input by you to reignite it from its sleeping death.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#9 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:49 AM

Ok, did not know that. I did sign into it to see if it was actually mine and if there were any emails recently sent to it. I signed in using 2-step. Since 2 step is enabled does that mean I am Ok? When it was compromised before I was not using 2-step. Since using it I have had no more problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users