Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simulation Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 patbounds10

patbounds10

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:52 AM

Hi I am new to the PC scene and need a bit of advice. I am an engineer in school and on a budget. I do simulations and some limited cad modeling. I recently decided I want to get a home work station to do a little bit of this kind of stuff so I don't always have to go into the office or I can work on personal projects.

I don't game and really don't ever see myself doing that. This being said I found a dual CPU Dell powereege t410 used for 250. I was wondering if someone could tell me if this is:

1. A good price?
  2.  If this can do the types of computational work that I want to do? (I know that with it's 16 gigs of ram it can't do everything sim wise but I can upgrade to a bit higher like 64 gigs of ram over time or use my office for bigger sims as some sims take 300+ gigs of ram)
  3. Would there be a better option for this work that is relative cheap for a student? (Sub 600)

Thanks

Edited by patbounds10, 26 July 2018 - 10:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:18 AM

Actually it may be better to build your own workstation for this task especially with stuff like the Ryzen platform being very good for low cost workstations.

Also your terms of "gigs" is a little confused, what you see is RAM not hard drive space as there isnt such thing as 300 gigs of RAM

Even the most expensive enterprise grade server doesnt have 300 gigs of RAM

Edited by MadmanRB, 26 July 2018 - 10:24 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 patbounds10

patbounds10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:23 AM

Oh I am very sorry I thought for sure I typed 16 Gb of RAM and 300 gb of RAM. I will look into the Ryzen platforms for this and see if I can make something comparable. Is there a good bench mark for computational demands on a cpu ie number crunching? and for these applications what is better more cores with a lower clock speed or few cores with a high clock.

thanks,

ps. my sever at my office has 1000 gigs of ram and our cluter pushs even more. One of my last sims took up 500 gigs of ram.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:26 AM

Well office servers are different, if this is a home server you will not find much with that kind of RAM.

For something like CAD yeah the more RAM the better but for your budget things do become crunched.

I mean yeah cad simulations are intense but you wont find much that supports say 50 gigs of ram for that kind of money.

But you could still have something for that job for around that price point.

Now do you need ECC?

Edited by MadmanRB, 26 July 2018 - 10:32 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 JayR88

JayR88

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:52 AM

ram aside yeah..yeah you can have a home UFO dude lol....Ryzen though lol.....I had an idea on a block and just Ice the Bong/rez/pump/loop whole thing lol

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:04 AM

Well Ryzen is so cheap now especially the Ryzen 71700 which is very good for this sort of thing.

The only real issue is RAM which will drive costs above his $600 budget, plus he will need a GPU of some kind as the 1700 doesnt have a apu.

Edited by MadmanRB, 26 July 2018 - 11:06 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 JayR88

JayR88

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:47 AM

Yeah...7700k feels already dated...but still a decent chip. That ones been fun to play with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users