Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 HP Folio-13 Very Slow, Cannot Complete MBAM

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Win7LoverGuy

Win7LoverGuy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:36 AM

So I haven't used this laptop in a year or so, and that is my bad. I fired it up and downloaded MBAM, then I went to Windows Update and started downloading. Windows update would just hang. I went on the internet and it said to delete a folder in windows update after disabling it, then re-enable it. I did that. So then I re-downloaded a bunch of Windows Update stuff automatically. Then I ran MBAM and the laptop slowed SIGNIFICANTLY. I actually went back to a Restore Point before updating Win 7 (I think! it says Win 7 has never updated now, this is after I deleted that folder but before I updated). MBAM will run for 3+ hours and just get stuck in Heuristic Analysis. Even in Safe Mode it is SLOW to the point of taking all night to do something and still not finishing (I just left MBAM running last night). It says there are 159 instances of concerning stuff with MBAM but I can't get the damn scan to COMPLETE so I can erase them.

Basically, is my laptop screwed? I don't have a reboot diskette for Windows 7 to re-install it... This laptop doesn't even have a CD-ROM drive, it's a lightweight HP Folio-13. Should I try to re-install Windows 7? Do you guys think Win 7 is corrupted from trying to install updates? It has 4 GB of RAM, it says about 500 MB of RAM is still available, but it runs terribly slow whenever I try to do MBAM or Microsoft Security Essentials. Please help, I need this lap top for school! And thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 satchfan

satchfan

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:35 PM

Hello Win7LoverGuy and welcome to the Bleeping Computerforum.

This seems to be a Windows issue rather tthan anything malware-related so I suggest you start a topic in our Windows forum where they are more qualified to help you.

Please let me know if you are happy with that or supply reasons you think it is malware-related.

Thanks

Satchfan

My help is always free of charge. If you are happy with the help provided, if you wish you can make a donation to buy me a beer.

#3 Win7LoverGuy

Win7LoverGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:08 AM

The Win7 forum locked my post and told me to come here. :(. This is so frustrating

#4 satchfan

satchfan

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,858 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:37 AM

OK let’s see if you can run these:

===================================================

Note: Please run these in the order given in the instructions.

Download and run AdwCleaner

Download AdwCleaner from here and save it to your desktop.

• run AdwCleaner by clicking on Scan
  • when it has finished, leave everything that was found checked, (ticked), then click on Clean
  • if it asks to reboot, allow the reboot
  • on reboot a log will be produced; please attach the content of the log to your next reply.

Run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • press Scan button
  • it will produce a log called Frst.txt in the same directory the tool is run from
  • please copy and paste log back here.
  • the first time the tool is run it generates another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the Frst.txt into your reply.

Logs to include with next post:

AdwCleaner log
Frst.txt
Addition.txt

Thanks

Satchfan

My help is always free of charge. If you are happy with the help provided, if you wish you can make a donation to buy me a beer.

#5 Win7LoverGuy

Win7LoverGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:41 PM

Sorry, I ended up just taking it to the shop because I couldn't figure it out. Their memtest or whatever said the hard drive was failing. Can't believe these SSDs (even mSATA types) are failing so easily. I guess I will have to find a mSATA drive that fits into this Folio-13 1020us board and see if it will work and reinstall win7 and all that jazz. What a pain.

#6 satchfan

satchfan

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,858 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 05:00 PM

Sorry you've had such a pain with this.

Are you happy to go with that decision because some SSDs can cause this reaction when they go into a 'sleep' phase when not being used for some time.

I suggest you go back to the Windows forum and start a new topic where you'll get expert advice before making a decision.

Let me know if you're happy to close this.

Good luck. :thumbup2:

#7 Win7LoverGuy

Win7LoverGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:18 PM

Say what? What's 'sleep' phase when not being use for some time? Can you explain this?

Sorry you've had such a pain with this.

Are you happy to go with that decision because some SSDs can cause this reaction when they go into a 'sleep' phase when not being used for some time.

I suggest you go back to the Windows forum and start a new topic where you'll get expert advice before making a decision.

Let me know if you're happy to close this.

Good luck. :thumbup2:

#8 satchfan

satchfan

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,858 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 04:35 AM

The 'sleep' thing was what was mentioned by a tecnician as the cause of failure to a friend's computer recently and that is my only reason for suggesting it.

I'm no hardware or Windows expert and therefore it's not in my capacity to elaborate. The fact that SSDs have certain cons as well as pros is better explained by someone who knows what they are talking about.

That said, try my suggestion of starting a new topic in the Windows forum and meanwhile I'll keep this open for the next few days in case you get no satisfaction.

Satchfan

#9 satchfan

satchfan

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,858 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:12 PM

Hello again

It has been several days since I sent my last suggestion.

Please let me know if you still need help. If I don't get a reply within 24 hours I'll assume all is well and close this topic.

Satchfan

#10 Win7LoverGuy

Win7LoverGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:25 PM

Hey sorry, you can close this. I went ahead and bought another SSD and shoved it in there and reinstalled everything. What  a pain. Thank sfor your help.

#11 satchfan

satchfan

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,858 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:42 PM

You probably chose the best solution in the end. Pity you had so much trouble but glad you sorted it and thanks for getting back in touch.

You know where we are if you need help in the future.

Best wishes.

#12 satchfan

satchfan

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,858 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:42 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users