Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Laptop Incredibly Slow

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Win7LoverGuy

Win7LoverGuy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:34 AM

So I haven't used this laptop in a year or so, and that is my bad. I fired it up and downloaded MBAM, then I went to Windows Update and started downloading. Windows update would just hang. I went on the internet and it said to delete a folder in windows update after disabling it, then re-enable it. I did that. So then I re-downloaded a bunch of Windows Update stuff automatically. Then I ran MBAM and the laptop slowed SIGNIFICANTLY. I actually went back to a Restore Point before updating Win 7 (I think! it says Win 7 has never updated now, this is after I deleted that folder but before I updated). MBAM will run for 3+ hours and just get stuck in Heuristic Analysis. Even in Safe Mode it is SLOW to the point of taking all night to do something and still not finishing (I just left MBAM running last night). It says there are 159 instances of concerning stuff with MBAM but I can't get the damn scan to COMPLETE so I can erase them.

Basically, is my laptop screwed? I don't have a reboot diskette for Windows 7 to re-install it... This laptop doesn't even have a CD-ROM drive, it's a lightweight HP Folio-13. Should I try to re-install Windows 7? Do you guys think Win 7 is corrupted from trying to install updates? It has 4 GB of RAM, it says about 500 MB of RAM is still available, but it runs terribly slow whenever I try to do MBAM or Microsoft Security Essentials. Please help, I need this lap top for school! And thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:16 AM

if you dont have anything on the laptop that you need in the way of documents, files, pics etc....then i would just do a fresh install of windows,

you can download a windows ISO and create an install USB stick for free, all you need is a USB stick probably 8 gig or bigger

Edited by mikey11, 26 July 2018 - 09:17 AM.

#3 Win7LoverGuy

Win7LoverGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:20 AM

if you dont have anything on the laptop that you need in the way of documents, files, pics etc....then i would just do a fresh install of windows,

you can download a windows ISO and create an install USB stick for free, all you need is a USB stick probably 8 gig or bigger

I do have some files I'd like to save on it. Also is there a tutorial on how to do this? I keep c oming across stuff that says Win 7 has to have a bunch of patches installed in a weird way, and you have to disable windows update, etc.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:21 AM

what version of win 7 do you have?

#5 Win7LoverGuy

Win7LoverGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:22 AM

Looks Like Win 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 64-bit Operating System

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:24 AM

If MBAM highlighted possible malware issues...why search for any other explanation of what might be contributing to the current situation?

Seems plausible to assume that malware is an issue, IMO.  I would address that if I chose not to just clean install.  If I chose a clean install...I would verify the working status of the hard drive before proceeding.

Louis

Edit:  OP posted new malware topic at https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/681261/windows-7-hp-folio-13-very-slow-cannot-complete-mbam/ .  To avoid confusion, this Win 7 topic is now closed.

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2018 - 09:28 AM.

#7 Win7LoverGuy

Win7LoverGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:27 AM

If MBAM highlighted possible malware issues...why search for any other explanation of what might be contributing to the current situation?

Seems plausible to assume that malware is an issue, IMO.  I would address that if I chose not to just clean install.

Louis

I ran a quick scan with MSE and it didn't pick up anything. I think MBAM is picking up quite a few small bundle installers.

But even if I don't run anything, I seem to be running out of memory after a few minutes. I hopped on Reddit and after opening one or two pages the computer slowed to a crawl. It is really frustrating. Do you have any ideas?

#8 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:29 AM

Looks Like Win 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 64-bit Operating System

download windows 7 home premium scroll to the bottom and select 64 bit version.......

http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-7-home-premium-free-download-iso-32-bit-64-bit/

next download RUFUS....scroll down a bit and download version 3.1.......

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

once you have those 2 downloaded go to youtube and search for "how to use RUFUS"....lots of videos there to explain how to create your bootable install USB

once you have created the USB you boot the computer from that and install windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users