Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem accessing sites with out of date Mac OS / Browser

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dewhurst

Dewhurst

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:45 AM

I have a MacBook Pro, circa late 2011, which is installed with OS X Lion 10.7.5. I’m aware that this is now well out of date, there having been several OS versions since X Lion. Apple no longer send updates to my MacBook. More and more I’m finding that I’m no longer able to access various websites. Typically I’ll get an onscreen message saying ‘Safari can’t open the page (name of website) because Safari can’t establish a secure connection to the server'. In the case of one website, I get an onscreen message stating that I need to upgrade my browser before I can access the site.

I’ve tried to upgrade to High Sierra via Apple’s website, but this hasn’t worked – I get a message saying that ‘This update requires macOS version 10.8 or later’. So it seems that the reason i can’t get on some websites is due to the fact that my OS and / or browser are out of date, in fact so out of date that I can’t even upgrade my OS. Can anything be done about this or am I stuck with a MacBook that is becoming less and less usable? I’m not very clued up about computers so any replies in simple terms please!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:54 AM

I have an older iMac and I was using 10.6.8 and ran into the same problem. I updated to 11.1.2 and that's what I'm using now. Can't remember off the top of my head the exact steps I took to upgrade but someone on here will outline the steps you can take to 'modernize' your MacBook. Don't despair, you've come to the right place. 

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#3 Dewhurst

Dewhurst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:57 AM

Thank you, it's good to know that's it's possible to update / upgrade it. Now i've just got to work out how!

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:45 PM

Download an

Thank you, it's good to know that's it's possible to update / upgrade it. Now i've just got to work out how!

Download it from the App Store. You'll find the App Store in the Apple menu, the Dock or in Applcations.

#5 Dewhurst

Dewhurst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:12 AM

Download an

Download it from the App Store. You'll find the App Store in the Apple menu, the Dock or in Applcations.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately this hasn't helped, the only upgrade that seems to be available in the App Store is High Sierra which is only compatible with version 10.8 or later (i've currently got version 10.7.5).

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 02:31 PM

Download an

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately this hasn't helped, the only upgrade that seems to be available in the App Store is High Sierra which is only compatible with version 10.8 or later (i've currently got version 10.7.5).

Get El Capitan from the App Store

#7 Dewhurst

Dewhurst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 02:53 PM

Download an

Ah that looks promising, i think that should solve it. I'll try and upgrade via that link when i've more time & i'll let you know how i get on. Thank you very much. 

#8 Dewhurst

Dewhurst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 03:18 PM

Download an

I've now been able to update to El Capitan, so the problem is solved. Thank you again for posting the correct link.

#9 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:08 PM

I don't know if Sierra would be better, i've heard some negativity about it. I'm content using El Capital because it does everything I need it to do, with no complaints. If you do go to Sierra, would you check back in here after awhile to let us know how it's going? 

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#10 Dewhurst

Dewhurst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 04:17 PM

I don't know if Sierra would be better, i've heard some negativity about it. I'm content using El Capital because it does everything I need it to do, with no complaints. If you do go to Sierra, would you check back in here after awhile to let us know how it's going? 

You've raised a good point there, i've also heard a few moans about Sierra, so i'm now in two minds about updating to it. If i do then yes i'll come back on here and say how it's going. El Capitan is doing everything that i need so really the only reason to get Sierra would be to stay fully updated, i don't want to end up in the same situation that i was in with Lion, i.e. where everything was so out of date that i couldn't access some websites.

#11 macuser

macuser

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:19 PM

you could use firefox then you can keep it updated to the latest version and visit those websites you need access too. you really want to be careful about using outdated browsers (security risk). When apple no longer updates your OS, you may need to consider getting a new mac.

#12 Dewhurst

Dewhurst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 05:50 AM

you could use firefox then you can keep it updated to the latest version and visit those websites you need access too. you really want to be careful about using outdated browsers (security risk). When apple no longer updates your OS, you may need to consider getting a new mac.

Yes that's the worry, i suppose it's a case of being vigilant and recognising the point at which Apple stop sending updates for a particular OS - and then upgrading again.  

#13 santoscork

santoscork

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted Today, 02:41 AM

Better is a relative term but if you ask me it is relatively better, the higher the OS the better. So what do I mean by better? Security.

I suggest the latest OS that can be installed be installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users