Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random non-BSOD crash, probarbly internal hardware related

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MortisFillius

MortisFillius

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:27 AM

So, been having a very annoying problem, as randomly during play, my computer will just crash (It crashes in the way that the screen will go completely blank and the PC restarts right after, kind of in the same way, as if you'd just hit the reset button) but only during high-performance games.

My power supply should be fine, after using some online calculators, my power supply gives 500 W, and multiple calculators put my usage at around 370 W.

I know it's not an overheating problem either, I have logged both the temperature of my GPU and CPU, and none of them get very hot before every crash, most of the time, they're rather cool.

Basic specs:

Video card: nvidia geforce 960

CPU: intel core i5-4460

Ram: 4 * 4 DDR3 ram

Motherboard: MSI B85M-E45

There's also another thing about the crash that might be worth mentioning, after the crash, my backside USB ports have to be plugged in and out to work afterwards (no idea why), but even that seems random.

There doesn't seem to be much of a pattern, other than I can play simple games normally, and this happens only during more complex games.

When it started is unknown, installed some new ram, then left it alone for a while, came back, this problem came up. Tried removing new ram, no change.

I'm honestly lost here people, I can't see a reason for the crashes, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

(also, I'm sorry if this wasn't the right forum, but it was the closest thing to my problem, that I could see)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:09 PM

check CPU/GPU fans make sure both are spinning.  this sounds like a thermal issue and the power supply is shutting down because of a thermal issue.  it could be cpu/gpu fan or even the fan in the power supply itself has gone bad.

check all 3 fans, if they are all good then I would still suspect your power supply to be at fault.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:56 AM

Let's get some basic information regarding your computer.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png 

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

If the games you are playing are on your computer and you are not playing the games online boot into Safe Mode to see if this problem persists there.  Safe Mode uses a native graphics driver, not the NVIDIA drivers.  If the problem does not persist I would suggest updating your graphics driver.

To boot into Safe Mode in Windows 10, Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png  and the R key to open the Run box.

Type msconfig in the Run box and click/tap OK.  This will open System Configuration.

Click/tap on the Boot tab, then click/tap on Safe boot.

Click/tap on Apply, then OK.

Important:  Once you have set the computer to boot into Safe Mode it will continue to do this until you go back to System Configuration,open the Boot tab and remove the check from Safe boot.

Another concern is your PSU.  NVIDIA suggests a PSU with a minimum 400W.  Not all PSUs are created equally, please post the make and model of your PSU.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 MortisFillius

MortisFillius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:37 AM

Thanks a lot for the well formulated response! 

I tried playing in safe mode, and it didn't happen, unfortunately this does not mean it's the problem, as it happens a tad randomly (sometimes it crashes as soon as the game starts, other times I can play for 20-60 minutes), but, I couldn't see any problem with updating my drivers, so I am doing so, as I'm typing. I'll update you if it fixes it.

Here is the speccy screenshot

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TcQUPynAqRDYH8uHwi8CGXY

Sorry some of it is on Danish, nothing that seemed too important, but still. 

Well, my PSU is this http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/b-series/b500ver2/

I haven't changed anything, so if it was my PSU it would be weird, but who knows, unfortunately I am not an expert. 

Edit: The driver update did nothing. But, I noticed something after the crash-reboot. Until I restart the computer properly again, it runs generally a lot slower. Might suggest a CPU problem, but again, the temp is a cool 40-50 typically. And its max is 75 I believe. 

Edited by hamluis, 29 July 2018 - 05:11 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:12 PM

You don't need to quote my posts, it's not needed.

The Cooler Master has a 80+ certification which is good and should have enough wattage to drive your graphics without a problem.

I didn't see anything earthshaking in the Speccy.  Your temperatures are warm, but nothing to be concerned about.  

There is a possibility that this problem is graphics driver related.  Please boot into Safe Mode and play what games you can without going on-line.  Safe Mode uses a native Windows graphic driver, so if the problem doesn't repeat in Safe Mode there is a good chance that this problem is driver related.  I've posted instructions for booting into Safe Mode below.

To boot into Safe Mode press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png  and the R key to open the Run box.

Type msconfig in the Run box and click/tap OK.  This will open System Configuration.

Click/tap on the Boot tab, then click/tap on Safe boot.

Click/tap on Apply, then OK.

Important:  Once you have set the computer to boot into Safe Mode it will continue to do this until you go back to System Configuration,open the Boot tab and remove the check from Safe boot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 MortisFillius

MortisFillius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:32 PM

Okay, as written above, I tested the safe mode, and installed the latest graphic driver using nvidia experience, and I am still unsure if the problem actually went away during safe mode, but it's the most possible thing at the moment.
In theory, if installing the latest graphic driver didn't help, is there anything else that I can do, if it is a graphic driver problem? 

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:35 PM

You need to run the computer in Safe Mode long enough to determine if there is a graphics problem occurring in Safe Mode.  This means running the games which normally would cause these problems to occur.

#8 MortisFillius

MortisFillius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 03:01 PM

Tried running the games while in safe mode again, but honestly, absolutely unplayable (we're talking buttons need a literral minute to figure out that the mouse is hovering over them, and another two minutes to registre a click unplayable), and it's not like I can try this with less demanding games, as it's only with high-demanding games it occurs. Now, even though I left it to do it's thing for a while (about two hours), just standing idly on a screen, it didn't crash. But I honestly don't think I can get it to a point where I can with certainty say that it never would do it in safe mode. 
Any tips?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users