Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to upgrade my PC, but I have no idea what I am doing...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shawn789155

Shawn789155

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:39 PM

Hello there!

Thanks for stopping by... My name is Shawn and I have a PC that I would love to upgrade in preparation for several games coming out this fall (mainly BFV). I have had the computer for about 4ish years now, during which I have been able to play any game I want on pretty much max settings. However, recently I began playing Rainbow Six Siege and Battlefield 1 and have not been able to set graphics to max. This made me realize that it may be time to upgrade the old computer. As such, I would very much appreciate some advice / suggestions for upgrades, as I have never messed around with computer building before (got my built comp from a friend). Also, if there is some things/info that you wished you knew but didn't when you started your own journey of upgrading your own PC, please do share!

My computer specs, obtained from a program called Speccy:

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz 30 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-A (SOCKET 1150) 28 °C
Graphics
S240HL (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (EVGA) 29 °C
Storage
223GB Seagate ST240HM000-1G5152 (SATA (SSD)) 24 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA ) 27 °C
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24B1ST i
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

I hope that is all I need to share to start this off. Please let me know what else I can share. My goals for upgrading my PC are:

1) play BFV on "High" or higher (depending on cost) settings
2) upgrade Windows to the current version
3) essentially continue to be able to play any game for the next few years I want on "Max" or "High" settings

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Shawn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:32 PM

I would upgrade the GPU to something more current like a Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti or 1060 or a AMD RX 550 

The 770 is a bit old but i would not recommend something like the GTX 1080 right now as soon Nvidia and AMD will have new GPU's out perhaps lowering the price of current models.

As for your other parts truth be told your system is still going to be awesome for some time now, sure newer processors will be faster and Haswell is a bit old but its still got some kick to it.

As for the system yeah I would upgrade to windows 10 but only because 8.1 has a short lifespan ahead of it with mainstream support already ended.

But in terms of hardware you still got a good rig even by modern standards and completely capible of modern gaming.

If this was say first generation intel i5 (Lynnfield/Clarkdale) or AMD's bulldozer/piledriver its time to upgrade but Haswell still is quite decent despite its age and its quad core to boot giving it some added longevity with newer gamines taking advantage of multi core processors.

Your Intel Core i5 4670K is quite a beast too even for its time and no need to go to a i7 on that socket as those processors are too pricey still.

Edited by MadmanRB, 25 July 2018 - 11:48 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 J_Mahone

J_Mahone

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:42 AM

SnailDriver can help scan your computer for all obsolete device drivers and update them with a single mouse click. Give this freeware a try if you're also on the lookout for a light and fast driver updater.

Edited by J_Mahone, 26 July 2018 - 02:42 AM.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:28 AM

Eh snail driver is a bit of a mixed bag and it doesnt get things right sometimes.

Plus there is no guarantee a updated driver will fix any issues.

Granted there isnt any guarantee that a new GPU will work either, as some research on my end did indicate EA borked BFV to make it work poorly with older processors which is a shame.

I mean the OP will probably want a new GPU anyhow to get better performance in some games but tools like snail driver... yeah not really that reliable or trustworthy for me.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 Shawn789155

Shawn789155
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:48 PM

Thank you both for the advice! Glad to hear my computer isn't terribly out-of-date! And glad to know my CPU kicks butt, was not aware of that...

My friend mentioned I should go from 8 GB of RAM to 16 GB, so I purchased two more RAM (identical to what I have currently) since I am only using 2 of the 4 sockets in my board. I had no idea about the speed constraints and whatnot regarding RAM when he told me to upgrade, with him only mentioning it in passing. As such, I thought it would be best to simply duplicate what I have now. Could I have bought say like only one stick of 8 GB RAM, and kept that fourth slot open for the future? Also, when it arrives, do I simply shut down my computer and pop the RAM into the open slots? (Guess I can Youtube this, but I find it helpful to chat with someone too) There's not like any software or anything I need to install, correct?

@MadmanRB: you mentioned upgrading the GPU, but to not go with a 1080 because the newer ones coming out may drop the price. Wouldn't this apply to the 1070s, 1060s, and 1050s? I chatted with a dude at Geek Squad and he mentioned that most games don't even reach 1080, that a 1070 would do alright. True or false (keeping in mind my #1 ideal game at the moment is BFV)? Also, you mentioned EA "borking" BFV... what does this mean? By older processors, do you mean my CPU?

Finally, is upgrading from Windows 8 to 10 as simple as buying the product key and installing? I have been nervous of doing this having a custom built computer, wasn't sure if it would mess with anything?

Thank you again for all the help, I really appreciate it!!!

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:10 PM

My friend mentioned I should go from 8 GB of RAM to 16 GB, so I purchased two more RAM (identical to what I have currently) since I am only using 2 of the 4 sockets in my board. I had no idea about the speed constraints and whatnot regarding RAM when he told me to upgrade, with him only mentioning it in passing. As such, I thought it would be best to simply duplicate what I have now. Could I have bought say like only one stick of 8 GB RAM, and kept that fourth slot open for the future? Also, when it arrives, do I simply shut down my computer and pop the RAM into the open slots? (Guess I can Youtube this, but I find it helpful to chat with someone too) There's not like any software or anything I need to install, correct?

yes shut down your computer and install the extra RAM, the OS will see you added in ram so no need to do anything drastic.

As for upping to 16gigs... eh that is debatable, you would have been fine with 8 gigs as most games dont need over that though windows can eat up a bit of RAM too.

Still upping the RAM was not a bad idea if it was cheap enough

@MadmanRB: you mentioned upgrading the GPU, but to not go with a 1080 because the newer ones coming out may drop the price. Wouldn't this apply to the 1070s, 1060s, and 1050s? I chatted with a dude at Geek Squad and he mentioned that most games don't even reach 1080, that a 1070 would do alright. True or false (keeping in mind my #1 ideal game at the moment is BFV)? Also, you mentioned EA "borking" BFV... what does this mean? By older processors, do you mean my CPU?

Actually those guys at the geek squad are kind of idiots, they are only there to sell you a machine and know nothing really about what they sell.

A lot of games can support 1080p and above right now especially modern games which can support 4k.

You dont need a 1080 to to 1080p, its what Nvidia called it as it was preceded by the 980 and the 980 was able to do 4k.

We are talking about resolution and graphical fidelity there not the model of a GPU, to clear up the confusion.

Since it is indeed silly to buy a 1080 right now i would go for my recommendations as what i suggested are going to be more than powerful enouigh to handle your games and wont bottleneck your processor.

As for what i meant by borked thats just a funny way of saying EA messed up the game for some machines, with your processor sadly seemingly a little broken causing stuttering in the game, EA is notorious for having broken games, them Ubisoft and Activision the trinity of crap developers with warner not too far behind.

I mean yes getting a newer GPU is a good idea as it will help you out without getting new hardware and the good news is if you wanted to you can take it to another desktop if you wanted.

Finally, is upgrading from Windows 8 to 10 as simple as buying the product key and installing? I have been nervous of doing this having a custom built computer, wasn't sure if it would mess with anything?

Well rule of thumb is to back up your data before any major upgrade to windows, there is plenty of free software though to make a backup image of your system though such as Macrium Reflect and large capacity external drives are fairly cheap now such as this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W55K9N6/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_b2UnY_c_x_1_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=ZW1H4PTMZ3DR0Y34BM43&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=85035ef9-ee9f-54b5-a801-4eb626d4a3a4&pf_rd_i=595048

Or this for that matter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079D3D8NR/ref=s9_acsd_simh_hd_bw_b2UnY_c_x_2_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=T7EDG0KHMYYCSPY9V3JD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=85035ef9-ee9f-54b5-a801-4eb626d4a3a4&pf_rd_i=595048

if you back up your data you should be fine

Thank you again for all the help, I really appreciate it!!!

Youre welcome, and since i have referenced Frozens let it go a lot recently here is Youre welcome from Moana for something different:

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users