Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate Backup Plus external drive inaccessible, making ominous clicking sounds

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sbutk1

sbutk1

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:30 PM

Hello once more to the fine folks/virtuous volunteers/tech-savvy saviors at BleepingComputer!

I’ve already had the pleasure of being helped by several of your members with a handful of topics to date (Scanning my computer for malware; diagnosing a faulty hard drive; helping me choose a replacement; backing up my personal files with EaseUS software; upgrading the OS on my primary computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10; and upgrading a second computer to Windows 10, as well).  Thus I’m hoping that someone out there might be able to offer some assistance – or, at least, point me in the right direction – with my latest computer conundrum…

I've had a [failed?] Seagate external drive tucked away in storage for the last couple of years, that still has a lot of data and digital photos on it that I would sincerely (not quite willing to use the word desperately just yet, although one certainly could) like to be able to recover its contents from.  (Lord, how different my situation would be, if only I’d known about the EaseUS backup software back then, that one of my earlier helpers on this site introduced me to!)

It’s not that I didn’t have any foresight about the merits of backing up… I’d already been verbally warned more than once by a family member.  And I was finally actually in the process of manually backing up my data [copying & pasting folders] onto a second external drive. 

In just about the unluckiest scenario imaginable, though, a power failure occurred during the backup task, after having only completed a small portion of the data transfer.  From that point on, the drive’s contents have been inaccessible - What I hear from the drive is spinning, but also a rhythmic clicking/clunking sound (of the kind that gives one a sinking feeling).  And so, I [dejectedly] just stashed it away in a box, knowing someday I’d finally “bite the bullet” and get around to seeing whether someone – professional or otherwise - might be able to aid in the recovery effort.

During the course of dealing with my prior helpers, I became aware of this particular forum for help with issues related to External Hardware, and thus I feel this is probably the best place to throw up my white flag – er, I mean, ask for help.

If anyone can help troubleshoot my problem, or even just point me in the right direction to begin addressing this issue, I’ll be most grateful.

Thanks!

P.S.  Relevant technical specs:

• Dell Inspiron I660
  • Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
  • Intel Pentium G2020 @ 29 GHz
  • 4GB RAM
  • Seagate 3TB Backup Plus, Model No. SRD0SD0 [Currently unresponsive drive]

P.S.  I have a strong suspicion that this problem may very well be mechanical, which I’ve already accepted will likely limit my options/chances for recovery.  Still keeping my fingers crossed, though!  (And saying a little prayer never hurt, either.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:04 PM

Any time you have a drive that's clicking it usually means a problem with the heads which requires a professional data recovery service. Seagate has a terrible reputation with a certain 3TB drive and there is a class action suit against the company. I think you may have gotten one of these drives. The model number of the enclosure is not the same as the drive's model number.

https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/seagate

#3 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:07 AM

Any time you have a drive that's clicking it usually means a problem with the heads which requires a professional data recovery service. Seagate has a terrible reputation with a certain 3TB drive and there is a class action suit against the company. I think you may have gotten one of these drives. The model number of the enclosure is not the same as the drive's model number.

https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/seagate

Thanks for your swift response.

I did indeed notice, myself, that the model number I posted [copied from the drive's exterior] does not match the product number I found when searching for the drive's make & capacity as if I were looking to buy it new on a site like Amazon.  Curious.  :wacko:

And thanks for the link, as well.  It's a tad comforting knowing I'm not alone.

...Still, as I'm sure every other member of the suit feels, the monetary value I lost on the drive means just about zilch right now.

Any particular recommendations from BleepingComputer as to whose services I might employ to see about recovering my photos, etc?  :(

Edited by sbutk1, 26 July 2018 - 10:10 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:11 AM

There is a member here called DataMedic who's services start at $400 and up. You can PM him. Tell him you have the Seagate 3TB drive and it's clicking.

The big boy DriveSavers start at $1000 and up. 

#5 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:39 PM

There is a member here called DataMedic who's services start at $400 and up. You can PM him. Tell him you have the Seagate 3TB drive and it's clicking.

The big boy DriveSavers start at $1000 and up. 

Thank you. 

Assuming you are able to comment on this... Do you have any knowledge of DataMedic's competence/reliability/success rate versus the more expensive option? 

It is probably a good idea for me to get my start by contacting him.

Edited by sbutk1, 26 July 2018 - 12:53 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:23 PM

I would contact him but for what I have seen of his posts, he is competent. I can't say what his success rate is.

#7 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:34 PM

I would contact him but for what I have seen of his posts, he is competent. I can't say what his success rate is.

Thank you, again.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:18 AM

Yeah sadly seagate still has a bad reputation and a lot of people dont trust them anymore, I mean not all drives are bad from them and they have made corrections to newer drives but issues still happen.

Heck the only reason why i have seagate drives in my machine is because they were cheaper than WD ones at the time, i know in the future in a year or so i will probably bite the bullet and pay over $100 on WD black drives as they are more reliable and i kind of want high speed drives as i game a lot.

its the only reason why i hate WD, sure they make better drives but man do they cost compared to seagate, Toshiba and HGST

Edited by MadmanRB, 27 July 2018 - 09:18 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:06 AM

Yeah sadly seagate still has a bad reputation and a lot of people dont trust them anymore, I mean not all drives are bad from them and they have made corrections to newer drives but issues still happen.

Heck the only reason why i have seagate drives in my machine is because they were cheaper than WD ones at the time, i know in the future in a year or so i will probably bite the bullet and pay over $100 on WD black drives as they are more reliable and i kind of want high speed drives as i game a lot.

its the only reason why i hate WD, sure they make better drives but man do they cost compared to seagate, Toshiba and HGST

In my OP, in mentioned the various ways in which BleepingComputer has helped me out before.

The failing internal drive that I referred to was indeed a Seagate Barracuda 1TB.  Luckily the warning signs gave [my helper and] me plenty of warning signs and lead time to get my stuff off there while the drive was still enduring its laborious last days.

And I did indeed replace it with a WD drive, 2TB (for only slightly more than I'd paid for the Seagate - although that was a number of years ago; electronics are one of the few product categories where prices seem to have a reputation for marching downward).

Thanks for your input!  I'm following the advice given above and PM'd this guy; but of course I'm going to keep my open for other solutions/services as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users