Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recurring Daily - Windows Refocuses to Desktop at 12:00 (Midnight)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 anonalchemist

anonalchemist

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:43 PM

Win 10 Pro - Upgraded from Win 7

Hi guys, I have had an issue ever since I built this computer, but only at this point has it become much more of a nuisance. 

Problem:At midnight each day, if I am working/using an application in full screen mode (such as a full-screened game or movie), the system will automatically focus on the desktop. Think "ALT+TAB" but to desktop. The symptom does not sure for things applications in windowed-fullscreen.

Troubleshooting:

• Enabling & disabling the following showed no difference: "Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Maintenance"
  • I do not have dropbox or similar syncing software that requires some sort of pull from a cloud
  • Full scan performed with Malwarebytes and Windows defender 

Any help or suggestions or where to look is highly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 anonalchemist

anonalchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:48 AM

It was also suggested to totally turn off "focus assist". That has not seemed to resolve the problem. Any other ideas?

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:11 AM

Similar issue here. Turned out to be adware.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2711842/stop-desktop-showing-midnight.html

#4 anonalchemist

anonalchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 01:28 AM

I read through that thread prior to this, but I'm not sure how the OP narrowed it down to Adware. As in it sounds like the OP had antivirus/anti malware, but relied on active protection vs performing a scan now, while revealed the adware. As mentioned above, I have done scans with malwarebytes and windows defender.

Is there another recommended piece of software I should use to comb through the system?

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 02:02 AM

Have you tried running adwcleaner ( right-click run as admin)

Latest version

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

Also here but not sure if they are hosting latest

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

#6 anonalchemist

anonalchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 01:47 PM

Thanks, it found an infected registry file.

And two chrome extensions that were questionable, one called "Ask", one called "Hover Zoom". I've kept the latter as I use that one quite frequently, but I have no clue what the first one is. If this fails to fix the issue, I'll clean out "Hover Zoom" as well.

#7 anonalchemist

anonalchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:20 PM

Hmm, no luck here still. I removed even the chrome add on and it still brings me to desktop at midnight.

#8 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:50 AM

Hi, on another forum you were advised to post on their security forum, you can either follow that advice OR post on this one, both will give you expert advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users