Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blacklist of drivers that stop working after a Windows 10 update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FireXT

FireXT

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 05:57 PM

So I happen to have an HP Pavilion laptop from 2010 which touts "Beats Audio" like every other PC they made back in those days (whatever that is, since it's not technically a driver. Why do they brand the speakers with a headphone name?) stereo speakers + an integrated HP subwoofer, and it shipped with Windows 7. Later I erased it and installed Windows 8.1. I noticed some very important driver packages HP provided do not install properly on 8.1. For example:

• ATI Radeon installer doesn't work at all, I had to get a newer one from AMD that worked.
  • Synaptics touchpad driver works but I can't scroll in apps.
  • This IDT audio, which appears to be giving so many people trouble based on google searches, it installs but only the subwoofer works. Ironically the bass is terrible with this driver. I tried for a couple weeks getting the stereo speakers to work, but I gave up and I just plug in external speakers instead. Not an elegant solution, I know.
  • In fact, I was shocked that Windows 8.1 did not supply a working stock driver for any of the laptop's audio devices.

Well I'm not trying to ask for help on any of this, because I'm quite exhausted of fighting these drivers. So instead I'm trying to make a list of the drivers that stop working after a Windows 10 update (so that I don't accidentally buy them again). So far it only includes IDT & Conexant audio drivers and Beats Audio.

Maybe we can make a large list of these drivers which will be useful to people buying a new PC, so I'll start: In the future I want to buy a Lenovo ThinkPad P71 with Windows 10 on it. I saw a youtube review of it by Windows Central so I think all those drivers should be good after a Windows 10 update.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:57 PM

If you buy a computer that's certified to run Windows 10, which the P71 is, I can't imagine any driver going south after a Windows 10 upgrade in the foreseeable future.

#3 FireXT

FireXT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:10 PM

So that relieves me a bit, but what about vendors that have a habit of using poorly written drivers? IDT (I think they sold off that division to Sigmatel) and some other guys whose drivers break after an occasional feature update really give people a lot of trouble. Perhaps I could instead make a certified drivers list, but then there would be no way of telling if the XYZ driver in Device Manager is certified.

I haven't bought a computer for quite some time so I don't really know who's who.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,016 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:44 PM

Yeah, Windows 10 IDT drivers kind of suck. IDT sold off to Tempo Semiconductor. If you go to Tempo's site they have a link for IDT audio drivers that link back to Microsoft's own Update Catalog. Microsoft is providing the drivers for that old chipset.

https://www.idt.com/products/audio-products

https://temposemi.com/support/windows-10-driver-support-2/

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 July 2018 - 12:45 PM.

#5 FireXT

FireXT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:29 PM

Strangely, I can't find the edit button on my original post. Does BleepingComputer have this feature? I was going to add this underlined part:
-------------------------

• Synaptics touchpad driver works but I can't scroll in apps (but it works in the Start Screen, but counter-intuitively it's the vertical scrolling that scrolls the horizontal bar). Also it has this very annoying bug where if I accidentally scroll and no windows (not even desktop) are focused the entire touchpad helper program exits which makes my touchpad stop working. Fortunately I can relaunch it again by trying Win+R and then type the path to the Synaptics helper.

I wonder how many of these borked drivers on Windows 7 computers stopped working when Windows 8 came.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,016 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:10 PM

Edit is available after a post for only a certain time. After that edit is not possible. 

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:07 PM

“ATI Radeon installer doesn't work at all, I had to get a newer one from AMD that worked”

--- I have seen that more than once. On Windows 10 computers in which their ATI Radeon was working fine: what wasn’t possible to do was to update it to the latest version upon a Windows Update or someone’s attempt to do so from AMD’s website.

It seems that for Legacy products, manufacturers are not continuing to keep updating such product drivers for non-GCN (Graphics Core Next) Radeon cards.

AMD ends driver support for non-GCN Radeon cards

https://techreport.com/news/29362/amd-ends-driver-support-for-non-gcn-radeon-cards

You could also visit and view their applicable list as of the time of the report

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta for Non GCN Products Release Notes

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-16.2.1-for-Non-GCN-Products-Release-Notes.aspx

#8 FireXT

FireXT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:17 PM

“ATI Radeon installer doesn't work at all, I had to get a newer one from AMD that worked”

--- I have seen that more than once. On Windows 10 computers in which their ATI Radeon was working fine: what wasn’t possible to do was to update it to the latest version upon a Windows Update or someone’s attempt to do so from AMD’s website.

It seems that for Legacy products, manufacturers are not continuing to keep updating such product drivers for non-GCN (Graphics Core Next) Radeon cards.

AMD ends driver support for non-GCN Radeon cards

https://techreport.com/news/29362/amd-ends-driver-support-for-non-gcn-radeon-cards

You could also visit and view their applicable list as of the time of the report

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta for Non GCN Products Release Notes

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-16.2.1-for-Non-GCN-Products-Release-Notes.aspx

Yeah, I heard about that too. I'm actually using Catalyst v15.7.1 drivers right now (yes I typed this reply from that laptop :)) because they were WHQL certified and I wasn't very comfortable using the beta drivers. Firefox & clones already crashed the display driver (It's in AMD's known bugs list) so I disabled hardware acceleration on those. Does the WHQL mark guarantee that a particular driver is stable? (known outstanding bugs notwithstanding, such as the one above)

Also, this particular installer stupidly renames my graphics card driver to "AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series". Any programs/registry hacks to rename it back to "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650"?

Edited by FireXT, 28 July 2018 - 12:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users