Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad drivers, nothing updates, tons of issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tempusrevolutio

tempusrevolutio

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 05:08 PM

First off, I have an HP G72 253NR laptop. I've tried getting help from Microsoft and HP several times but they can never resolve the issues. I updated my OS to Win 10 from Win 7 and have been having a ton of issues. The Kernel debugging driver stopped working and said there was a registry error, my bluetooth doesn't work anymore, windows update won't update (it just searches for updates for eternity), and various other little issues. I've run scans with Windows Defender and it found nothing and several other antivirus's and all found nothing except a few PUP's. I ran my windows 10 install disk to bring everything back to its original settings and everything and still nothing. I don't know what else to do to fix it. It's been months. Any advice would be great, thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 05:29 PM

If this was an upgrade it may be best to wipe the drive and do a complete clean install of Windows 10 after backing up all your personal data. Your programs will need to be reinstalled. Upgrading from one OS to another can be problematic even when doing a reset. 

BC has a clean install guide at the beginning of this forum. If you still have problems after a clean install then perhaps the computer hardware does not play well with Windows 10. In that case you can revert back to Windows 7 if you have a legible key on the COA sticker or if the hard drive still has the factory reset partition which will let you revert back to a factory state with all drivers included.

I went to the support site of your computer and the only drivers listed are for Windows 7 so it's not surprising you may be having Windows 10 problems as now all your drivers are provided by Microsoft. In your post you said you ran the Windows 10 install disk again. Do you mean you wiped the disk and did a clean install or only a reset?

#3 tempusrevolutio

tempusrevolutio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 05:42 PM

It wasn't an upgrade, I replaced the hard drive with a new one and loaded Win 10. 

That's good to know. I'll probably just have to wipe the drive and go back to Win 7. That's too bad, I really like this version. I use Duke's Boot and Nuke for wiping my hard drives. Is that an acceptable way to do it or should I use EaseUs or something?

I only did the reset.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:38 PM

Yeah, some computers just don't play nice with Windows 10. If you need an iso of your Windows 7 version and you have a key from the COA sticker you can get it here.

Windows iso downloader can also get you an iso of Windows 7 but it's and on and off type a thing.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users