Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible RDP and keylogger

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 runclub

runclub

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 03:32 PM

Hello,

I just received an email from a person who said that I have a keylogger and RDP on my computer and is requesting money.

Please help.

Thanks

Runclub

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 04:25 PM

First of all - don't reply to this email and definitely DO NOT pay anybody any money. This is almost certainly a scam.

Next, go into 'System settings  - Networking' and ensure that any controls for remote access are turned off.

Next, using your AV, whether it be Windows Defender or some other product, run a system scan. Next, if you don't already have it, go to the downloads section of BC and download and install Malwarebytes and run a scan with that as well. Note, when you install Malwarebytes you will automatically find yourself running a two week trial of the Premium product. Don't let this put you off, you are under no obligation to pay for the premium product unless you want to.

Finally, if your AV and Malwarebytes find anything they cannot themselves fix then start a topic here -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-help/

Give details of your computer and OS, what has happened to you and what you have done, and if you get  reply from an entity called 'Helpbot' you must make a reply to it within three days, even if it is only to say you cannot run the tests asked for.

But don't get too uptight, this is almost certainly a scam but do what I suggest anyway.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 25 July 2018 - 04:25 PM.

#3 runclub

runclub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:21 PM

Thanks.  I did some digging and it looks like a scam for sure.  Same email as posted may other places and on many news outlets.

Malwarebytes came up with nothing.

ESET online only came up with to PUPs - fusioncore and visicom toolbar - seemed to easily remove them.

Just running TrendMicro and so far nothing has come up.

I have turned off remote access as well.

If anything comes up I will post in the area you have suggested.  You are fantastic for taking the time to respond.  Much appreciated.

all the best,

J

#4 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:20 AM

Thanks.  I did some digging and it looks like a scam for sure.  Same email as posted may other places and on many news outlets.

Malwarebytes came up with nothing.

ESET online only came up with to PUPs - fusioncore and visicom toolbar - seemed to easily remove them.

Just running TrendMicro and so far nothing has come up.

I have turned off remote access as well.

If anything comes up I will post in the area you have suggested.  You are fantastic for taking the time to respond.  Much appreciated.

all the best,

J

Forward this e-mail and any other e-mail scams to me@rescam.org 

It's an Ai email bot that will communicate with the scammer keeping them tied up so they won't scam real people.

Read about it here: https://www.rescam.org/

Sponsored by Netsafe https://www.netsafe.org.nz/

Edited by xrobwx, 27 July 2018 - 08:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users