Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keyboard not working 8.1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eddb

eddb

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:45 PM

Had some kind of interruption resulting in code 19. Fixed registry and everything looks good afa device manager. But keyboard can't type. On screen keyboard works.

Have done system restore. Have deleted (uninstalled) keyboard (it's USB btw.) Also new keyboard also not working. Connected a Bluetooth keyboard. All looks good but it can't type. I can access

and type via Teamviewer.

Any suggestions short of a re-install of windows. Hopefully a non init install so data stays. (it's all backed up but lots of programs to be reinstalled.

Help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 02:11 PM

Not sure if this is your problem but see if Filter Keys are enabled. If not, enable them then disable them. This is assuming your USB mouse works.

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-8/turn-on-and-turn-off-filter-keys-in-windows-8.html

#3 eddb

eddb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 02:35 PM

thanks.  I fixed the code 19  by removing the filter keys. the mouse does work.

I have no other W8.1 machine to copy the reg entries from. Only W10 pro. I am not inclined to substitute W10 reg entries for w8.1. though it should not be a problem.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 02:38 PM

I've got a 8.1 64bit. What registry entries do you need?

#5 eddb

eddb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 03:15 PM

Thanks JohnC_21.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}]

but I don't think the registry is the issue. But I'll try anything. I comared the reg to the same key from W10. the driver version is different but the date is the same.  I think I'll go look for a copy of the driver.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 03:22 PM

Here it is. You can check the contents with Notepad.

Attached Files

#7 eddb

eddb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 03:49 PM

Yes, this the same byte for byte except I had removed the filters. thanks anyway. there are other keyboard keys in the reg. I need to do some tracing up and down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users