Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is lagging, especially out of Sleep Mode

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Scott3232

Scott3232

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:06 PM

Hi all,

I have a Dell Inspiron 580 running Windows 10.  It's an older computer but it fits my needs.  I find that it lags at times though, especially coming out of sleep mode.  I run CCleaner periodically but I was hoping someone could help me identify what could be bogging down my resources at times.

Please let me know what I need to provide and I will do so.

Thanks,

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:56 AM

Please post your version of Windows 10 and its build.  To determine which version and build of Windows 10 you are running press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png, type in winver, then press Enter.  Post this information in your topic.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png 

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Scott3232

Scott3232
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:50 AM

Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.165)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/SDmCV4xXpsj8Ogd4dPV6jZs

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:11 AM

Please download and run CPUZ-HWMONITOR.  

This will generate information about temperatures and voltages of your computer.  It will look similar to the image below.

Attached File  cpuid hwmonitor.PNG   37.36KB   0 downloads

Please create a screenshot of the results and post this in your topic.  If needed, I've included instruction for making the screenshot and posting it here in your topic.

Press the Print Screen key to capture its image.

Open Paint and click/tap on Paste

Click/tap on File and select Save as, add a name for the file.

How to post an image in your topic

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

posting-options1.png

When you click on More Reply Options you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

posting-options2.png

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

Type [control] in the Run box, then click/tap on OK, this will open the Control Panel.

Click/tap on Programs and Features.

In the upper left portion of the screen click/tap on View install updates.

Please either make a Screen Shot of the updates or use the Snipping tool to create a image.

How to make a screenshot and post it in your topic

Press the Print Screen to capture its image.

Open Paint and click/tap on Paste

Click/tap on File and select Save as, add a name for the file.

You can use the instructions below to post either of the two types of images.

How to post an image in your topic

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

posting-options1.png

When you click on More Relpy Options you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

posting-options2.png

Edited by dc3, 26 July 2018 - 12:11 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Scott3232

Scott3232
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:22 AM

Attached is the HWMonitor screen shot.  You will see side-by-side screenshots since it had a scroll and I wanted to ensure you saw the whole result.  Updates is on 2 jpegs.

FYI, not sure if you're aware of this (or care), but your template says "When you click on More Relpy Options" (reply is spelled incorrectly).

Thanks,

Scott

Attached Files

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

Thanks for the headsup on the misspelling.  Dyslexia is a bleep.

I just realized that I provided you with a link to download the CPUID-HWMONITOR PRO.,  I had intended for you to download CPUID-HWMONITOR, not the PRO version.  You can download this version here.  Please download this and provide me with the previously requested information.

I am concerned about the voltages, the Speccy occasionally will throw figures which don't add up when you look at the whole picture.  Unfortunately the CPUZ HWMONITOR didn't produce the 12V figure. 

Another problem I'm seeing are high temperatures, your CPU has a maximum temperature of ~71C, your temperatures are right at this figure.  I would suggest opening the case and do a visual inspection of the CPU and its heatsink and fan assembly to make sure they are not coated in dust.  If there is a buildup of dust use a canned duster like Endust to blow out the dust.  If needed, you can use a Q-tip to clean out the heatsink if the dust is really caked on.  

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use the DC voltage scale?  

Edited by dc3, 26 July 2018 - 12:12 PM.

#7 Scott3232

Scott3232
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:27 PM

Here are the updates screenshots.  I will open the case and take a look. To be honest I don't remember the last time I opened it and cleaned the dust.  I'll be back in touch.

Attached Files

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:02 PM

Back to my last post... do you have or have access to a multimeter with a DC voltage scale and know how to use it?

Your 12V rail voltage is showing to be 3.812V.  If this is in fact the correct voltage your PSU has a problem and should be replaced.  In order to find out what the voltage actually is you will need to either read the voltage from a multimeter or a PSU tester.  You can purchase a tester for $11.24 at Amazon.  I suspect that you are looking at a new PSU.  This is the heart of the computer, if you replace it don't cheap-out on this purchase.

I suspect that you are finding an accumulation of dust inside the case.  Your temperatures are high enough that your CPU could be damaged if it is exposed to these temperatures for any extended time.  The max. temperature for your CPU is 71C, the last figure you posted was 74C.

#9 Scott3232

Scott3232
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:58 PM

Oh sorry I forgot to address that part.  I might have access to either one, I need to check.  Will the PSU last a little longer?  I've been actually considering getting a new computer, I just need a little time to figure out what to get.

I'm opening the case shortly and will clean it out and report back.

#10 Scott3232

Scott3232
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:20 PM

There was a pretty good amount of dust in there, especially under the fans.  I cleaned the heck out of them.  Is there a diagnostic I should re-run to check the temp?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:36 AM

The PSU is not producing the needed voltage to operate the computer properly.  The PSU in effect is no longer working, time for either another or the new computer you mentioned possibly purchasing.

You can use the CPUID to monitor your temperatures.  The program is a real time monitoring program, this means that you can watch the temperatures change.   From what you are describing you probably should pay close attention to the heatsink and fan assembly on the CPU as this is the hot spot and could damage the CPU if it gets too warm.  Let us know what the difference is in temperatures.

#12 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:29 PM

I would also check the disk activity in task manager. i find that dell laptops drives are crap, always at around 100% especially after a clean boot or sleep if it a standard SATA drive and not a SSD these days, even for a brand new dell.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:40 PM

I would also check the disk activity in task manager. i find that dell laptops drives are crap, always at around 100% especially after a clean boot or sleep if it a standard SATA drive and not a SSD these days, even for a brand new dell.

At this point let's just get the couple of things straightened out and then see what's happening.  The CPU has been running at its maximum temperature, we need to determine if the CPU is still functioning properly.

#14 Scott3232

Scott3232
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:04 PM

MasterNe0, it's a desktop, not a laptop.

Attached is the latest CPUID scan.

Attached Files

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2018 - 08:18 AM

The temperatures look a lot better, but the +12V rail is still far below what it should be.

How is the computer running now?  Any appreciable improvement?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users