Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues After Win10 Install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Yuk_Yuk

Yuk_Yuk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:54 AM

Hi,

Decided to swap out my HDD for a newer one as I ran into some issues with it. With that I installed new windows10 via usb flash drive (downloaded some software from Microsoft site that turned the USB into boot'able device) and have been running into several issues after such as:

Slower Boot Time
Much lower + spiking down fps in games
Overall slower perfomance

(Note. Pre-install of new windows+hdd I had very good performance for games I play and overall experience, so I know what to compare it to)

I'm a dinosaur when it comes to technology Though I did check driver updates etc, ran diagnostics for hard drive, everything checked out and at that point my senile knowledge ends, so any advice on why this is happening and how to troubleshoot it would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:55 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Have you installed the needed updates?

To check for update click on the Search icon in the task bar (the magnifying glass) type ind windows 10 update assistant, click on it when it appears under Best match.  Windows will do a search for updates you need.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png 

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:56 AM

are the spec's for the old drive comparable to the new drive?

cache amount:

rpm's:

if your rpm's are slower and it has a smaller cache then the original hdd then you may notice a difference in speed.

#4 Yuk_Yuk

Yuk_Yuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:15 AM

So, I checked the updates for windows, I have the latest one installed and no updates available, this is the information on my system http://speccy.piriform.com/results/QmlypgzveGpt2Vd2ojD0OTK

are the spec's for the old drive comparable to the new drive?

cache amount:

rpm's:

if your rpm's are slower and it has a smaller cache then the original hdd then you may notice a difference in speed.

The specs are same for the drives. The speed on normal usage (desktop, file opening etc) is not THAT much slower its just noticeably a tad slower but the main difference that I can clearly see and experience is within games, for example (LoL) beforehand the game automatically optimized itself for the highest settings and ran on 190 stable fps, but now it optimizes for medium settings starts at 200 then proceeds to drop to 100 and from that point it spikes down to 50-60 with freezes/lag. Even if I change the settings the lowest it barely has any change for perfomance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users