Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Understanding What's Going On....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chloesmommy

chloesmommy

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:49 PM

Hi everyone!
I'm running XP Home. I had a solid red screen yesterday, and had to reboot. Then, today, I got a blue screen with an explanation that a serious error occurred, and to restart if it was the first time to see the message, alot of other stuff that flew way over my head. ;)

Anyways, I rebooted, and a microsoft window popped up and said that it had just recovered from a serious error, and did I want to report it. So I did hoping it would give me more info. And it did, and I don't understand it anymore than the other explanation I got. It mentioned drivers, but I have no clue what I'd need to do since I haven't installed anything lately. Here's my explanation from Microsoft.
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?...7cd&SID=685

Can someone please help me to understand what I need to do? I have a sinus infection which isn't helpful to my problem solving skills, but I'm afraid this is something that needs to be fixed now!

thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:57 PM

Have you ran your anti-virus software through your system to check for viruses? Because some viruses may cause your computer to malfunction. What type of computer do you have? Because there may be a driver error with some of your hardware.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 chloesmommy

chloesmommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:18 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron B130

I have antivirus running always (mc affee for small businesses) but I'll go ahead and run a system scan. thanks :thumbsup:

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:59 PM

Do you know exactly when this problem began?

"Depending on which situation is applicable to you, please do one of the following:

* If this problem occurred after you installed a new hardware device on your computer, the problem might be caused by the driver for the device. Use the Driver Rollback utility or uninstall the driver.
* If this problem occurred after you installed new software, the software might have installed a driver that caused the problem. Try uninstalling the software.
* If you don't know the specific driver or software, try performing a System Restore.
* Check for updated drivers on the Microsoft Update website.
* For information about your support options, visit: Support.Dell.Com"

To use System Restore:
Click Start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

Pick a date that is in bold numbers from before the problem began.
The wizard will walk you through the rest of the steps.

#5 chloesmommy

chloesmommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:28 PM

The first hint was yesterday with the red screen. If I do a system restore, will it delete pictures from my computer? I've never done a system restore, and I have hundreds of pictures I haven't backed up yet.

Thanks!

#6 chloesmommy

chloesmommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

oh and I did a full AV scan, and nothing came up :thumbsup:

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

I am talking about the Windows System Restore accessed the way I described in my previous post, not the Dell Restore.

The Windows System Restore should not delete any data, pictures or music files but will delete system files that have been added since the restore point date, so if you did the Windows Critical Update that came out yesterday you will have to go back to Windows Updates and redownload the 15 or so updates that were released yesterday.

#8 chloesmommy

chloesmommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:36 PM

Ok, that makes sense! It did do the update yesterday! And thanks for clarifying the difference between the windows system restore and the dell system restore! I didn't really know the difference :thumbsup:

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:59 AM

The Dell Restore will reset the computer to exactly the same software configuration as it was when new, and will format the hard drive thereby effectively erasing all data (your documents and pictures, etc)

A Windows System Restore only affects the settings for Windows XP, drivers, updates, etc and should not cause you to loose any data or pictures.

Try using Windows System Restore and choose a date from before the problem began.

Let us know.

#10 chloesmommy

chloesmommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:06 AM

Thanks so much! I did the windows system restore without any issues, and have not had any problems! Thanks so much!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users