Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GIGABYTE Radeon HD 5850

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:42 PM

Hi,

I purchased an Open Box GIGABYTE Radeon HD 5850 video card a number of years which has given me problems off and on the whole time I've us3ed it until it stopped working about a year ago.

I would like to know if this idea of heating it up in a convection or normal oven to melt the solder called flowing(?) would get it to work again?

Does anyone have any experience doing this and can hey give any recommendations for getting the best results?

Thanks,

John

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JayR88

JayR88

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:53 PM

Good god lol. Well with the Age and if used Heavily yeah could very well fall in to the time stuff is worn out.

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 02:37 PM

I ask because it had issues pretty much from the start and is an Open Box purchase.

Here is a LinusTechTips video describing the "Flowing"(?) process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xanr4jkmEc

Is there any merit to this?

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:03 AM

While some of these YouTube 'fixes' may get one out of the ditch temporarily, please don't count on these as permanent repairs. :)

It's been a long time back, maybe a decade ago, I tried one of these 'reflow' tutorials & while it initially worked, failed for the final time in less than a week. 

Professional repair wouldn't be worth the money, can outright purchase a top line card instead. The only thing I can suggest would be to carefully disassemble, clean very well, reapply thermal paste & if that doesn't work, then the reflow option is in your hands. Yet to do it right requires professional equipment which most legit PC shops doesn't have. 

A suggestion & fair warning, it's time to be looking for a new(er) GPU. Be wary of eBay while looking, chances are if the seller says the card has not been overclocked, used for mining/heavy gaming, the buyer is about to get burned. For the most part, the mining craze is over (GPU prices are dropping) & there's lots of these being unloaded on eBay, Craiglist & other sites. Sometimes at cost equal or more than a newer card if on promo. 

It's time to sign up for promos at Newegg & other sites & be on the lookout for your next GPU. Considering you've had this one for years as open box & has served you well, have came out good. I suggest if you do buy another, to be sure & clean on a regular schedule, along with the rest of your computer. Those dust bunnies builds up & causes overheating, sometimes to the point where you'll be in the same boat again. Warranties often doesn't cover negligence, air dusters are low in cost & very effective to clean with. 

Good Luck! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users