Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent BSODs: CPU Suffering Violent Crashes and Restarts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Clarityman

Clarityman

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:49 PM

To Whom It May Concern,

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this issue! I'm suffering frequent BSODs which sometimes cause my Win10 machine to start and restart repeatedly while beeping as if there's been a hardware failure-- but other times it runs fine (I'm posting this message from the cpu in question).

I'm wondering if this is a conflict between Windows Defender and other antivirus software. Before, I had this issue when I had Avast installed. After uninstalling Avast, the BSODs subsided and I thought the problem had ended. Now, I have Malwarebytes installed and the BSODs were nonstop. I quit Malwarebytes and everything seems (temporarily?) fine, but I'm not sure.

Each time this happens, it's so severe that it makes me think my machine has died. Sometimes I can't get it to boot at all because it's just restarting endlessly, even after unplugging the machine. But eventually I get it up and running and sometimes-- BSOD, sometimes, no BSOD.

I've tried following the posting instructions accurately, though I did experience the hang with Sysnative. If there's anything more you'd like me to do, please let me know.

Requested link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HkO14QF8C6ZCLcnt3k2zN6T

Thank you in advance!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,053 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:36 PM

There are not any minidump files listed on your computer. When was the last time you had a BSOD? Do you use CCleaner of similar program that might delete these? Have you performed any hardware tests such as your hard drive, memory, etc? Are you using the free or premium version of Malwarebytes? Even though it is not suppose to cause issues with Windows Defender, I have seen it happen and it seems more prone on some systems then others. The real way to know for sure is to uninstall and test.

Step 1:
Perform the following Hardware tests:

Test Hard drive:
Please Download and Run SeaTools for Windows

1.  Once it starts it will scan for all drives connected to your computer. 
2.  Select drive you want to test.
3.  Select the Long Generic Test under the Basic Tests menu
4.  When the test is complete you will see the result under Test Status
5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail. 
6.  Provide the Results in your reply.

How to Use:
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/313457-seatools-dos-windows-how-use.html

Test Memory:
Run memtest86+ version 5.01 for at least 8 passes.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

This may take hours so plan to run it overnight.
Testing takes approximately 1 - 2 hours /GB RAM
Just 1 error is a fail and you can abort testing
Then test 1 RAM module at a time in the same DIMM each for 8 or more passes
When Memtest86+ has completed 8 or more passes take a picture and post an image and upload to your reply

MemTest86+ - Test RAM BSOD Tutorials

Step 2:
Click on Start menu
Type command to start searching
Right click on command prompt in list and select Run Administrator
Copy and Paste each the commands below into the command prompt and press Enter key after each command

1. sfc /scannow (best to run 2-3 times, rebooting after each time)

(Windows 8 or higher only)
2. dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If any Errors are found with sfc /scannow then:
Copy and Paste the following command and press ENTER:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
Upload sfcdetails.txt from your desktop

Step 3:
How to perform a clean boot in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Let me know if the BSOD's continue or not while running in this mode?

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#3 Clarityman

Clarityman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:44 PM

dmccoyks

Thank you for the reply dmccoyks.

It's taken me some time to respond because the BSODs have become so frequent that I can barely start and use this cpu.

Usually it's an IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal BSOD, which I believe can mean many things? Then today it was Kernel Security Check Failure about two minutes after the system started up. Then I tried to restart and immediately got a Kernel Thread Priority Floor Violation error during the boot. This caused Windows to try to automatically repair, which didn't work, and I was stuck in a restart loop for several hours.

I'm not sure why there are no logs. I am not using CCleaner. When I check Windows Event Viewer I have just dozens of errors but I do not know what they mean. I could post some of the Event Viewer logs if you wish.

I was using Malwarebytes Free, but I deactivated it. The BSODs are still occurring so perhaps that is not the issue.

I will run the tests you suggested and report back when I have the results. In the meantime, if there's anything else I can do, please let me know!

#4 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,053 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:09 PM

Yes, please start with the Steps I provided. Are you still able to use Windows? If not the Hard Drive test can also be ran using a bootable USB if needed. You might be better off running Windows in Safe mode to run the test and see if it works better as well. See below. Let me know if any questions.

1) Press Windows key + I to open Settings menu.
2) Click Update & Security option.
3) Select Recovery and then click on Restart.
4) After your PC restarts to the Choose an Option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
5) After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
4) After your PC restarts, select one of the following Safe Mode options you are instructed to from the Start Up Settings menu:

• Safe Mode (4)
  • Safe Mode with Networking (5)

5) Wait for Safe Mode to load.
6) Logon with an Administrator account.

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

#5 Clarityman

Clarityman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 04:00 PM

Okay, I tested the hard drive with SeaTools in Step 1 and the result was Pass.

I also ran sfc /snannow several times after reboots as advised in Step 2. Each time the report came back: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

The only test I have not run yet is the MemTest, because playing with the BIOS makes me nervous. The last time I updated the BIOS, I thought the whole system permanently crashed because it would no longer run Windows until a support person helped me change the settings.

If it is absolutely essential to run that MemTest, please let me know as that one makes me anxious due to my lack of familiarity with changing BIOS settings. Or if there is another method for running the test, please let me know.

I continue to have BSODs whenever I try to log onto this CPU, usually IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal. I did not have a BSOD while running the tests. The last few times I tried to restart in Safe Mode, the computer powered all the way down, then just started Windows normally.

When I look in Windows Event Viewer, there are dozens of errors occurring every time the cpu powers on.

#6 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,053 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:07 AM

I am not sure what bios settings you are concerned about changing? We can try the follow step first and see if it might help find the cause. I am on vacation all week so my replies will be very limited. 

Please follow the tutorial below to run driver verifier.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5470-enable-disable-driver-verifier-windows-10-a.html

Driver verifier stresses your drivers and will crash your pc if any driver fails due to a violation. It should be performed for a max of 48 hours, or when you have a bluescreen, whatever comes first.

If driver verifier has found a violation and you can't get back into windows normally, try to boot into safe mode and reset in safe mode driver verifier, or in the troubleshooting options open command prompt and type verifier /reset.

When you get a Blue Screen Error (BSOD) then Rerun the Sysnative app and upload the file. 

Edited by dmccoyks, 30 July 2018 - 11:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users