Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Artifacts, Freezing, and Windows Failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eldamaur

Eldamaur

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:23 PM

Hello, and thank you for taking a look at my problem. I'll include as much detail as I can for my problem even if it might be irrelevant, and add a TL;DR at the bottom for anyone so inclined with only the most relevant stuff.

My specs are:

GPU: EVGA 03G-P4-3784-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5
CPU: i7-7700k
RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI DVI M.2 USB 3.1 Z270 ATX Motherboard
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2, 80+ GOLD 850W
Tower: Thermaltake Chaser Series Chaser MK-I

My system has been having issues where artifacts appear on the screen, shortly followed by a total freeze that can only be stopped by a restart. Upon restarting, Windows goes into a repair loop and won't start back up.

The issue began after a different freezing issue with the game Middle Earth: Shadow of War, which only occurred in game. I read that a possible fix to the apparently common issue was to turn off overclocking, so I went into my BIOS and turned off the turbo mode that automatically overclocked. Upon reloading the game, I began to have the issue with graphical artifacts. The issue subsequently spread into light usage outside the game as I attempted to troubleshoot, during which time I found Windows LiveKernalEvent problems with codes 141 and 144, until it ended with an endless Windows attempted repair loop at boot that I couldn't get out of.

In the end I decided to reinstall Windows and reset my BIOS to factory settings. I got Windows up and running again smoothly without issue for about two hours as I reinstalled programs. I then tried a stress test, which proceeded smoothly at about 60 FPS without stuttering until the very end, at which point the artifacts reappeared and the system continued to freeze on startup. I tried plugging my monitor directly into my motherboard, bypassing the GPU, yet I was still unable to get the computer to work correctly and another Windows repair loop began.

I got a temperature reading from my GPU when it wasn't under heavy load of about 30C. My CPU would get to the high 60's to the low 70's under load. I confirmed that both fans on the GPU were running properly.

I know that artifacts can be caused by an overheating GPU, though I don't know how that might have affected my system to such a degree that Windows can no longer boot even while bypassing the card. Since the problem came back after a clean installation I imagine it must be hardware related, but I don't know if it's the GPU, CPU, motherboard, or something else entirely.

TL;DR: System had graphical artifacts under load that subsequently spread to outside of load, culminating in Windows being unable to boot at all and going into an endless repair loop. The problem persisted after a clean installation of Windows after a period of proper functioning, during which time I was able to reinstall most things (Discord, Avast, Nvidia Drivers, etc).

I've attached two pictures of the graphical artifacts, and linked four other pictures of artifacts as well as pictures of the error reports I was able to find, as they were over the upload limit. I know I'll probably have to replace something, but I'm not sure what, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if any further information would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

Pre-reinstall Artifacts

Post-reinstall Artifacts

Error Code Readouts

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eldamaur

Eldamaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 04:54 PM

It's quite the baffling issue, isn't it?  I'm thinking at this point that I'll have to just start replacing things, starting with the GPU, though it's something I dread due to the inflated market.  To narrow things down, could anyone at least shed some light on whether a faulty GPU could be causing the Windows failure?  Were it just the graphical artifacts I'd feel more confident that it was the issue, but the total Windows failure is what gets me.  If no one knows, would anyone be able to direct me to another site where I might find someone who would know?  Thanks again.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:21 PM

That would be my first step, replacing the GPU.  Strange things can happen when chips get overclocked and overheated, they get unstable and can cause all manner of hangups within the system to the extent that it appears a different part is failing.

#4 Eldamaur

Eldamaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:27 PM

That would be my first step, replacing the GPU.  Strange things can happen when chips get overclocked and overheated, they get unstable and can cause all manner of hangups within the system to the extent that it appears a different part is failing.

Thanks for the input.  I hope it really is just the GPU and I don't need to replace more.  I'll try going without until the 20th when Nvidia reveals info about their new chips, in case current ones drop in price or I can get a new one.  In the meantime, if anyone else has any advice, I'd appreciate anything anyone has to say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users