Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Press power button 3 times to turn on.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ROUQq

ROUQq

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 05:50 PM

I recently built a new pc and from the first time I started up the PC I had to press the power button 3 times to power up the PC. I emailed the case manufacturer and they sent me a new button but that did not change anything. Now a month later I still have the power button problem but my computer has started shutting down randomly and when I press the power button the computer turns on for a brief second Everytime I press the power button but does not turn back on.

Specs
Windows 10 home, i5 8400, msi z370 gaming m5, evga gtx 1080 ftw2, 16gb g.skill trident, Corsair rm750i, phanteks enthoo evolv case

Edited by ROUQq, 24 July 2018 - 05:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:33 AM

With it running, have you inspected the temps using either the BIOS or something like HWMonitor?

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 ROUQq

ROUQq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:40 AM

I have been using HWmonitor and everything looks normal no temps higher than 40c

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:43 AM

Describe in more detail what happens the first two times you press the power button, please?

I suspect either the power supply or the system board; but, need more details...

#5 ROUQq

ROUQq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:03 PM

When I press the power button the first two times all my lights on my mobo and GPU turn on and the fans start spinning. If I don't press it the third time everything shuts off. but not until I press the third time does it actually power on

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:14 AM

It's actually turning on the first two times; but, for some reason thinks it needs to shutdown again.  The most likely culprits are the power supply or the system board.  Can you or have you tried another power supply?

#7 ROUQq

ROUQq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:14 AM

I contacted my psu manufacturer and they are sending me a replacement. Hopefully that fixes it. If not I'll swap the board

#8 RjMaan

RjMaan

• Banned Spammer
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:31 PM

I think you should also check its power button connection and the power assembly of your motherboard. It looks strange that the three times of button push will turn on the PC.

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:01 AM

He already replaced the power button assembly and the PC does turn on (fans spin, lights turn on) the first two times he pushes the button.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users