Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When is the best time to buy a GPU?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jcgonzmo

jcgonzmo

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:25 PM

I have no experience building or buying computer components. I recently had to build  a new one only because my 5 year old computer died. I currently have:

Intel i5 8400
16gb Ram 2666mhz
750W PSU

ASUS 27" LED 1080p (1920x1080) (5 years old) that can handle 85 Hz vertical refresh rate
Old GPU I am using PowerColor PCS+ AMD Radeon HD 7870 Myst. Edition 2 GB GDDR5

I had in my mind a 1060, 1070 (but waiting for the price to go down) or wait for the new version. I could buy a card now and had it ship this Friday or wait until January. (I do not live in USA so this are moments where I would travel there). Any advice? I mainly play on consoles, but now that I had to build a new PC I want to upgrade it for the next 5 years. I will mainly do 1080p gaming.

Edited by hamluis, 24 July 2018 - 05:11 PM.
Moved from Computer Gaming to Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:24 PM

Well its going to be some time before any new cards come out, at least a year.

I would say just get something cheap, the 1050 or the 1050 Ti are both under $200 and the AMD Radeon RX 550 is even cheaper, if you can score a 4GB RX 550 for about $130 or so go do it.

This is US prices so I am unsure if prices recovered in your area but its some options.

i would not go too high especially with next year brand new GPUs are set to come out

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 JayR88

JayR88

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:12 PM

You are on 1080p..so yeah something like the 1050. Id rather you put together the unlocked 5ghz speed demon and fast ram...There's still quite a bit of stuff that really likes the clocks and speed. 1080 prices came down big time too, still a good buy.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,168 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:17 PM

Actually at this time a GTX 1080 may not be the best option they are still over $600 and with brand new lines coming out next year that money would be better invested in another card that would be Superior and with a new architecture

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 jcgonzmo

jcgonzmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:21 AM

Read online that supposelly 1160 is coming at the end of this this year. That that would be the best option or to wait for the 1070 to go down in price when the 1170 is announced this year. What do you guys think? Also is there a best moment to buy in the year?

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,168 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:28 AM

Well there is also AMD to consider too, both AMD and nvidia are set to release new cards.

Again if you want to get a GPU now thats fine but dont go too high end on it, getting a cheaper GPU is not going to matter for what you want as you said you want something good for 1080p

Plenty of cards on the lower and can do that no prob, and there is no shame in getting a sub $200 (US) card

Again both the RX 550 and the GTX 1050 and 1050Ti are good choices and will be viable for quite a bit still.

Especially the RX 550 as it has vulkan support and vulkan is a major thing for many developers.

I mean if it were me I would get the cheapest good GPU i can right now to hold me over until I see the pricing for all the new GPU's and see if older GPU's come down in price such as a GTX 1080

It would be stupid to buy something like the GTX 1080 right now as its going to be replaced by the 1180, better just go something low end and upgrade later.

I say its fine to buy now but keep it low end, no one is going to shame you on a GTX 1050 or a RX 550, both are great cards and will still be good even after the new models roll out.

I mean yeah the new GPUs will be better but if you wished to hold on to what you get for a bit there is no shame in that either.

Edited by MadmanRB, 25 July 2018 - 09:36 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 jcgonzmo

jcgonzmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:35 AM

Maybe I could overclock my old GPU and stick with it until the new ones come out? After all I will be playing 1080p only?

Edited by jcgonzmo, 26 July 2018 - 10:37 AM.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,168 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 02:53 PM

Well there are other things to consider such as directx 12 and vulkan, the newer graphical api's that are popular in newer games.

Overclocking wont really help there

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users