Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Found %temp% filled with cabs - bad update?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 geekdad

geekdad

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:54 PM

Hello!

For the third time in two days I have a Windows 7 system on the bench with a full hard drive. (Mix of Home and Pro)

Every time it is the Temp folder filled with cabs that are choking the drive. 

Any idea if a July update broke something? I've seen this in the MS forums occurring over a few years but no spike in this issue in 2018.

Would appreciate any input. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:13 PM

Possibly the infamous Windows 7 bug.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3112358/microsoft-windows/windows-7-log-file-compression-bug-can-fill-up-your-hard-drive.html

#3 geekdad

geekdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:23 PM

Thanks JohnC_21. I've got one on the bench I just cleaned out. I'll reboot and leave it on for the night and see what happens.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:25 AM

the upper suggestion is only a temp solution and will not fix it.  It does not cover all steps needed to stop the problem.

follow the instructions on this link below and you will have a semi permanent fix.  it's windows and it may happen again later on.

this link also gives an explanation on why it happens.

http://www.cagedrat.com/microsoft-windows/microsoft-windows-updates-cab-files-filling-up-hard-drive/

Edited by mightywiz, 25 July 2018 - 11:26 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for that link mightywiz.

#6 geekdad

geekdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for the link. I still think it's odd that three totally unrelated systems experienced the same issue all at once.

#7 ToasterHunter

ToasterHunter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:10 PM

Windows have never cleaned up the %temp% folder properly on shutdown or reboots. You can always manually delete everything in the folder. The only exception is if you allowed something to install in that folder. Many Anti-Virus products scan that folder heavily so the more files that build up the more resources taken up defending against those files.

I'd delete the files that it will allow you to delete then run a disk cleanup including a system cleanup of patches to windows, you can get to it through windows explorer right click on the C drive and click on Properties, then click on disk cleanup. Once done reboot the PC but will may have to wait 30 min to an hour if any updates were hung up.

If you see Trusted Installer in Task Manager running with high memory usage say 250k or higher you should definitely consider running the Disk cleanup!

And yes never install an update right away, always set windows updates to allow you to install them, check the update wait a week then search on the update to see if it created any issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users