Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN To Work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 milkyway12

milkyway12

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:13 PM

Hey, guys, I need to be able to access the Shared Drive (G:) that is on the server at work. I can access it fine from the same Network. I do not need Team Viewer remote access. I just need to be able to double click the shared drive and access the files on it. Is this possible or do you have to remote view the server to get access to the shared drive?

No experience with VPNs outside of Team Viewer / CloudBerry / Tor / Private Internet Access.

I just need to be able to access the Shared Drive. I already have Remote Assistance installed, but i Just want to click the drive and access the files instead of having to remote screen in.

Edited by milkyway12, 24 July 2018 - 01:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:13 PM

A VPN solution is going to require your work to support it as they will need equipment on their end for you to connect to.  There may already be a solution in place and talking to your IT staff should be the first thing you do.

You're better off connecting to a PC at work and using the files on that PC using a remote desktop solution.  When you access a file on a server remotely you are essentially downloading the file.  When you save that same file back you are uploading the file.

#3 milkyway12

milkyway12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:33 PM

Gotcha, so basically, without installing I guess a VPN Gateway type box, the VPN solution is a no go unless using a Remote Desktop solution I take it.

I would have to use some kind of FTP setup?

Edited by milkyway12, 24 July 2018 - 02:33 PM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:11 PM

FTP is pretty much the same issue as VPN.  Work will have to set it up and will need an FTP server, which won't be the same as your G: drive.

Basically when dealing with work machines it is highly recommended that you work with the IT staff to get the access you need.  They may already have solutions in place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users