Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Massive CPU temperature differential on laptop when running Prime95

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lovepack

lovepack

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:13 PM

I was testing out my new laptop on prime95 for 30 minutes to ensure stability. Cores 2 and 4 are operating about 30-40C cooler than 1 and 3. Two and Four are at ~60C while 2 and 4 is at ~95. I don't ever remember having such a difference in temperatures. How normal or how concerned should I be? Thank you

- Screenie of temperatures

- Laptop Model

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:27 PM

There can be significant temperature differences between cores depending on how "work" is allocated among them.  It is not unusual for specific programs to end up having a specific core or cores "favored" when running.

Since the maximum normal operating temperature of the i7-7700HQ is 100°C, and you are running a program that's intended to run the processor ragged, it's no surprise that a core or two will be near to maximum operating temperature.

I would not be worrying one bit.  What you need to be looking at is what your temperatures look like under normal usage and loads.  I'm willing to bet that they'll be a lot lower.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users