Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP - recovering system from partition changed to RAW

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Xitixen

Xitixen

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:11 PM

My Win 10 system drive, which contains all my program file installations as well as the OS, has been turned into a RAW partition due to misuse of DiskPart. Easus Data Recovery has found close to 1 million files, and I've recovered them to another disk, where they are all in a big jumble in the Results File folder. Using DIR I can see what's in there flash past. Using TREE I can tell there's a structure that looks right.

What do I do now? I have no Windows interface but could try to use a portable boot disk. Right now I've just got the command prompt.

Do I reformat the partition as NTFS then copy the contents of the Results File back to it? If I do I lose the data that's there, and have to rely on my use of Easus to be correct and sufficient....

Please advise. I started by trying to debug and fix a wireless adapter that kept cutting out, and now my machine is unusable. Obviously I'm not going about things the right way. I do need the computer to get some freelance work done that's on a deadline (of course).

?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:36 PM

Reinstall.

From scratch.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:07 PM

Do you remember what diskpart commands were used?

Are the files you recovered able to be opened by their respective program on another computer?

Did you purchase Eaesus Data Recover or did you only use the 1GB allowed on the trial?

Do I reformat the partition as NTFS then copy the contents of the Results File back to it? If I do I lose the data that's there, and have to rely on my use of Easus to be correct and sufficient..

That will not reinstall your programs. The Results file should only be used to recover your personal data files. After those are recovered you can reinstall the OS but you would need to reinstall all your programs. 

If the Windows Partition is not too badly damaged you may be able to recover using a program called TestDisk using a bootable Linux disk or by attaching the non functioning drive to another computer via a USB adapter. If it cannot recover your partition table it may be able to recover your User Directory Intact. 

Do you have a bootable Windows 10 install disk? How did you determine the partition was RAW if the computer does not boot to Windows?

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 July 2018 - 02:11 PM.

#4 Xitixen

Xitixen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:20 PM

I was able to use the command prompt to run DiskPart, and when I List Partition it shows that it's a RAW format.

I'm willing to purchase the full version of Data Recover if I need to, but it hasn't asked me for any authorization or license yet. I just ran a Deep Scan and when it was done finding its million files I hit Recover. It asked where to put the recovered data and I gave it another place on an NTFS partition on a blank disk.

I haven't copied any of the files to a removable drive and tried them on another computer but I'll do that now and update you.

I don't remember the DiskPart commands I used and I haven't been able to find the thread I was cribbing from - it was very late and I was very sloppy, and my browsing history isn't giving me clues. I do recall using the Override flag, which is not good. 

I like the TestDisk possibility - the drive itself is an SSD mounted to the motherboard, so trying it on another computer as a USB device will be something I'm not familiar with...

#5 Xitixen

Xitixen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:25 PM

"Do you have a bootable Windows 10 install disk? How did you determine the partition was RAW if the computer does not boot to Windows?"

Booting to Safe Mode seems to get to the troubleshooter, but that's it. The UEFI option doesn't do anything, but the command prompt does function in a limited way. Through that I can get Task Manager up, and run Easus, but Explorer won't launch.

(I have another drive in the machine that has an archived copy of another system disk from an old machine, so I have at least two copies of the Win10 OS in this machine, just not in places I can use them. The Program Files I rely on are in that RAW partition now.)

#6 Xitixen

Xitixen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:28 PM

I got into this whole DiskPart mess because I ran chkdsk /r on my system drive through a step in Tweaking.com's utility kit. When it got stuck for half an hour at 20% I started wondering what a sector recovery or remapping process would be on an SSD, and looked it up. When I found out that /f was ok but /r was a bad idea, the only way I could get the process to stop was to do a hard reboot. So there may be some damage from that?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:30 PM

Okay if you can get a command prompt that is encouraging. 

In the command prompt type the following commands. Post the output or provide a screenshot. A camera image is fine.

diskpart

list disk     (is there an asterisk under the GPT column)

select disk 0

list volume

When it got stuck for half an hour at 20% I started wondering what a sector recovery or remapping process would be on an SSD, and looked it up. When I found out that /f was ok but /r was a bad idea, the only way I could get the process to stop was to do a hard reboot. So there may be some damage from that?

Not encouraging. The file system has been corrupted. It's possible TestDisk will be able to recover but WIndows 10 has a hibernation file we first must get rid of and we can't do that with the partition as RAW. Linux will not write to a Windows partition that has hibernation enabled. We can attempt using a live linux disk if you wish which I would recommend if you can't remove the drive but I'm not too hopeful because you stopped chkdsk in the middle of the run.

Download Mint Cinnamon. Burn the iso to a DVD. You will need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings if enabled before Linux can boot. Sometimes linux can mount a RAW partition. We can attempt that first. It that does not work then we will use Testdisk and even using TestDisk the best we may be able to do is recover your User Directory data and not your programs. 

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3597

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 July 2018 - 02:39 PM.

#8 Xitixen

Xitixen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:31 PM

The reason I was using Tweaking.com's utilities is that Bitdefender, Malwarebytes and Windows Security Essentials (or whatever Defender is called now) spent a day combing though a couple million files on 6 drives and declared them threat-free. But I still could not get the wireless adapter to stay connected, despite confirming it had the latest driver, and even removing it and reinstalling. It's a whole other mess.

#9 Xitixen

Xitixen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:40 PM

hang on. noob is trying to post an image. please be patient a minute. 

no asterisk, btw

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:42 PM

Wifi on Windows 10 can be problematic especially on certain chipsets. We can determine if this is hardware related using Mint if the kernel has your Wifi drivers. Mint will detect your Wifi and you can then input the password. We would need an internet connection to download and install testdisk so if Wifi does not function you can use Ethernet.

I can tell by looking at the volume output. If you see a partition formatted FAT32 then you have a GPT disk.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 July 2018 - 02:43 PM.

#11 Xitixen

Xitixen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:53 PM

20180724_143513_zpsnweokuw4.jpg

#12 Xitixen

Xitixen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:57 PM

I added drive letters to all the partitions when I had to keep accessing them in DOS and DiskPart - many didn't have one. The names are right, but the drive assignments are not what they usually are. The O drive has Easus on it. P is a boot disk made on someone else's laptop in case we need to do that.

The machine I usually use for posting images etc is dead now (obv) so it took a while to set up a photobucket account (this place doesn't like imgur apparently). I'll be as fast on photo uploads as I can.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:01 PM

You can click More Reply Options next to the Post button then attach a jpg.

Edit: I am assuming disk 0 is your SSD drive. Post an image after these commands.

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

list partition

I would also start downloading the linux mint cinnamon iso when you get a chance.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 July 2018 - 03:04 PM.

#14 Xitixen

Xitixen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:21 PM

There are 2 SSD drives. One for cache and one for system.

Attached Files

#15 Xitixen

Xitixen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:28 PM

Disk 0 is Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250 GB

In DiskPart it has Volume C and a 99MB hidden volume

Disk 1 is Intel SSDPEKKW256G7