Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen of Death with cursor on laptop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sneak1

Sneak1

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 05:47 AM

I turn on the laptop and all I get is this white cursor for a second then it goes black.I tried pressing F8 a bunch of times and nothing happens.At first I thought it was the monitor because I cracked my screen and was using an external monitor until the replacement screen came.Tried plugging an HDMI monitor and still the same.Running Windows 7 64 bit on the laptop.

I'm currently using a desktop running Windows 7 32 bit to write this.What could be the problem with my lappy?

It's an HP Pavilion G6-1D60US laptop.

Attached File  20180724_020951.jpg   176.36KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20180724_020950.jpg   179.07KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20180724_020954.jpg   179.34KB   0 downloads

Edited by Sneak1, 24 July 2018 - 10:11 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:55 PM

Unless you are also seeing the HP logo before this happens, my bet is that you haven't really turned it off.  Press and hold the power button for 6 seconds to do so.

P.S. That series is known to fry the video chip.

Here is the support page:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-g6-1d00-notebook-pc-series/5186811/model/5218667

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 Sneak1

Sneak1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:12 PM

Unless you are also seeing the HP logo before this happens, my bet is that you haven't really turned it off.  Press and hold the power button for 6 seconds to do so.

P.S. That series is known to fry the video chip.

Here is the support page:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-g6-1d00-notebook-pc-series/5186811/model/5218667

I don't know what you mean "i havent' turned it off".I turn it on and see the white power light and can hear the fan.Nothing happens then I turn it off until the power light turns orange and hear it shut off.The hard drive is fine.I was using it on my desktop and backing stuff up over to an external drive.

I've had this problem for a while and last thing I remember is it was doing an update and it just froze.I turned it off then when I turned it on it was like this.

No I don't see the HP logo when I turn it on.It's just like the pictures shows.

Edited by Sneak1, 24 July 2018 - 01:16 PM.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:08 PM

"I turn on the laptop and all I get is this white cursor" kind of implies you have turned it off.  If the power light stays orange, you haven't really turned it off and a more common problem than you might think is that, if the PC goes to sleep in a screwed up state, it resumes to the same thing.

A useful trick on many laptops is to force it off (hold the power button down for four to six seconds), take out the battery, unplug the ac adapter, try to turn it on by holding the power button down for a solid 30 seconds (drains all of the residual juice out), plug the ac adapter back in, and try turning it back on.

The BIOS should sense the external monitor and you should see the HP logo before it tries to boot Windows.

#5 Sneak1

Sneak1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:09 PM

"I turn on the laptop and all I get is this white cursor" kind of implies you have turned it off.  If the power light stays orange, you haven't really turned it off and a more common problem than you might think is that, if the PC goes to sleep in a screwed up state, it resumes to the same thing.

A useful trick on many laptops is to force it off (hold the power button down for four to six seconds), take out the battery, unplug the ac adapter, try to turn it on by holding the power button down for a solid 30 seconds (drains all of the residual juice out), plug the ac adapter back in, and try turning it back on.

The BIOS should sense the external monitor and you should see the HP logo before it tries to boot Windows.

Nope none of that is working.And I was mistaken, the power light does turn off.I was looking at the orange light from the wireless card when I turned the power button.

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:54 AM

Did you try taking out the battery, unplugging the ac adapter, and holding down the power button to clear the power out?

If you did, then I suspect that the video chip got fried.

#7 Sneak1

Sneak1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:06 AM

Did you try taking out the battery, unplugging the ac adapter, and holding down the power button to clear the power out?

If you did, then I suspect that the video chip got fried.

Yeah that didn't work.I tried starting it without the ram and got a beeping sound.Then tried running it without the hard drive and it's still the same as the pictures.I thought it might have been software related as after that initial update freeze up some time ago it started giving me this problem.So what are my options now?

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:00 PM

With no ram installed, you should get a beep indicating no ram.  Even the BIOS needs some scratch ram to get started.

Have you tried it with an external monitor plugged into the VGA connector?

If you have and it still did it, you need a new system board (most call them motherboards; but, they're not) the part number is probably right next to the memory slots on the board or it's in the service manual which you can download from the support link I posted earlier.

#9 Sneak1

Sneak1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 02:24 PM

With no ram installed, you should get a beep indicating no ram.  Even the BIOS needs some scratch ram to get started.

Have you tried it with an external monitor plugged into the VGA connector?

If you have and it still did it, you need a new system board (most call them motherboards; but, they're not) the part number is probably right next to the memory slots on the board or it's in the service manual which you can download from the support link I posted earlier.

Attached File  20180724_021023.jpg   82.87KB   0 downloads

Yeah the screen on the laptop is cracked so I've been using an external monitor via VGA all this time until it just stopped booting up altogether one day.

I took pics of the damaged monitor model to replace it later.I kinda set it aside as a "to do later project".That and adding another stick of 4gb ram(which I already did) and upgrading the HD to a 1TB.

So what you're saying is I need a new motherboard?I guess it's good news in a way because one of the USB ports is broken on this one(the pins are pushed back).I was planning on tearing down the laptop and soldering a new one but getting a new board altogether seems a better option now.

So the part number is under the ram sticks?

Attached File  20180723_222019.jpg   213.93KB   0 downloads

Is this it?

Attached File  20180723_221242.jpg   247.3KB   0 downloads

So I need this one 649288-001

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-PAVILION-G6-G6Z-SERIES-GENUINE-LAPTOP-AMD-MOTHERBOARD-649288-001-656683-001-/252485931678

Attached File  5bEBZCfZZxx1agK3v.jpg   164.64KB   0 downloads

Attached File  5flaX2AVjVwG3cSY.jpg   162.12KB   0 downloads

I know ifixit has a tear down guide of this model.I was looking at it recently.I bought their 64 bit driver a while ago to fix an unresponsive 3DS button.

So it should boot up on a fresh new board?Do I need to take out the AMD CPU chip and buy thermal paste and apply it onto the new board?Anyway to upgrade the CPU on this to a better one?It always seemed weak and slow.

#10 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:27 AM

Yes, that's the board; but, I hesitate to suggest buying it as the laptop really needs replacement.  That $40 price for the system board is about what the whole thing is worth and the display is still busted on top of it.

The link I posted for it's support would let you download the service manual and might show you a possible CPU upgrade path; but, it's still awfully old and won't ever be fast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users