Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Real time comparative - AVAST, Panda, WinDefender

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:20 AM

Hello guys.

I have made a real world performance comparative for AVAST Free, Panda Dome Free and Windows Defender to find out if the alleged real world lackluster performance for WD was true.

Test was done on my i7 5960-x (8 cores, 16 threads), 8GB DDR4 RAM (1066Mhz, single channel), GTX 1070, Crucial SSD, and an old SATA2 HDD.

I rebooted my pc between every test.

I don't know if this thread is well placed here. If not, any moderator feel free to move it. Thanks.

Here we go.

72abhiX.png

What do you think? AVAST or Panda? And yes, it's true Windows Defender slow down some things even if I consider it a good AV.

Edited by eLPuSHeR, 24 July 2018 - 02:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bellgamin

bellgamin

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:30 PM

Of those you tested, I recommend Avast -- see lab test results HERE.

#3 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2018 - 04:26 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have been testing both WD and AVAST and I haven't run into any issue with AVAST (installed with just two shields, mind you). And everything felt snappier. I love WD but I think it needs some love.

Edited by eLPuSHeR, 25 July 2018 - 04:27 AM.

#4 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:14 AM

After a few days testing AVAST in several Desktops/Laptops I am going back to olde TRUSTY Windows Defender. A pity is somewhat slow on some operations but it seems most third party antivirus software is pretty buggy. One thing I despise a lot about AVAST is the infuriating slow loading of its UI/Dashboard (specially on hdd/slow pcs). Also, on an older slow one core laptop, AVAST service even failed to load today.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:27 AM

I no longer recommend avast as an anti-virus solution for a variety of reasons...I explain why in this topic along with information about Windows Defender (Windows Antivirus). Also see my comments in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:34 AM

I have also found AVAST takes up quite the space (about 800MB-1GB+). I find that not acceptable for a single AV program.

#7 bellgamin

bellgamin

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:06 PM

Avast is an effective antivirus as shown HERE and HERE. The free version does bug users a lot with advertisements for the paid version of Avast, plus advertisements for their several other products. It's what you pay to get it free. Avast does use a lot of storage space but -- while patrolling -- it's relatively light as to cpu usage.

Brief off-topic comment: If you want a truly tiny footprint in both small space used and (more importantly) low cpu cycles, then I suggest that you take a look at the AVs that are primarily cloud-based, such as Webroot & Panda.

#8 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:58 AM

After playing csgo yesterday, I have been forced to return to AVAST, because from a gamer perspective, Windows Defender slowdowns are quite noticeable. I think WD bad disk I/O performance is a hit and miss thing. It seems quite random.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users