Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Same Update Keeps Installing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kaityf

Kaityf

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:08 AM

It seemed to be like my Windows 10 was updating more often than that of my friends. In the last week, it has gotten ridiculous. Just about every time I restarted my computer, I got a message telling me not to turn off my computer because Windows was installing updates.  In the last couple of days, it has taken to shutting down my computer when I'm in the middle of something to install updates.

Today, I checked the update history and found that Windows has been installing KB4103727 since May. It has installed a couple others, but I lost count of the times this particular one has been "successfully installed."  It is currently downloading yet another update, but I don't know what it is because it has been stuck on 99% for about a half hour.

Edit: Just checked. The download for whatever the new update was failed.

There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help:
Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803 - Error 0x80244018

So I don't know if it's trying to download the same KB4103727 or some other one. If it's the same one, why the heck does it keep downloading and installing it?

Anyone have an idea of what the heck is going on with this? And more importantly, what I can do to stop it?

Stats on Computer:
HP 550-a209

Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1803

7866 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

2.20 gigahertz AMD A8-7410 APU with Radeon R5 Graphics
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Multi-core (4 total)

Board: HP 2B4F 1.00
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

Edited by Kaityf, 24 July 2018 - 01:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:38 AM

Hi, we need to see your downloaded updates and the "state" the update is in.

Now you may never have been here before, it is however really quite easy, just follow the instructions.

We are going to boot to the RE (recovery environment) this is a built in diagnostic mode for windows ten.

Go to shutdown and click on "restart", whilst doing this, press and hold the "shift " key down.

Windows will boot to the RE.

In here you first select "Troubleshoot" a new window will open.

From this you select "Advanced Options" a new window will open, from within this window you select "Command prompt", you will have to press enter, when your user name appears and press enter again when the keyboard layout appears, after this a cmd prompt window will open.

The prompt will be :- X:\Windows\system32 (or very similar) 

At this prompt we type:-

bcdedit | find "os device" (type this exactly as you see here inc the " " the | is called a pipe and can be found above the \ key).

This will tell us what drive letter the RE has assigned to the OS (in this format it is often not assigned c:) whatever the cmd returns you use in the following cmd's. It looks like, osdevice .......partition X (where X is a drive letter) in this example we use D as the drive letter (it most often is). NOTE:- copy the cmds just as you see here, spaces are important.

At the prompt type :- D: (press enter)

The prompt now looks like this D:\>

At this we type:-

dism /image:d:\ /get-packages > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter)

A notepad will open with a list of your windows updates, In notepad go to the main menu and select "File", then "save as", an options box of where to save will open (note your C: drive will most likely show as D: drive) expand this to "users" locate your user name, and expand to desktop select this as the place to save to. Call the file packages.txt and save to your desktop, exit out of the cmd prompt and select "Continue on.. " to boot to windows.

Find the saved file, on your desktop and copy paste it into your reply.

EDIT:- sorry if you have already tried this I miss typed the cmd:-  dism /image:d:\ /get-packages > 0 & notepad 0 It is now corrected.

Edited by jenae, 24 July 2018 - 03:12 AM.

#3 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:48 PM

Sorry for not getting back to you guys sooner. I was dealing with a broken dryer and a leaking AC unit. Then I was sick.  Anyway....

I shut down my computer and when I started it up again, it did the update thing again. BUT this time, it took a looooong time and it seems to have actually updated Windows. So everything looks okay. It was pretty weird, though, when it kept updating with the same update. It never said it failed either.

Oh well, It seems to be okay now.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users